Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking purchasing a new or new to me tractor; just sold our 1990 Kubota L4150. We had that unit for 15 years and it did the job pretty well. The issue we had with it was that it was literally too physically big to really maneuver around our camp., and some hydraulic issues.

We have an 80 acre camp, which is very swampy land (ridges and swamp) that we have food plots on, which is probably 80% of what we use the tractor for. Have several 3pt implements as well, brush hog, discs, box blade...all are 6ft (plus 2 bottom plow, and 5 tine harrow). Obviously the 50hp L4150 had no problems with any of them. So now, I am looking at / considering buying a 2020 Kubota L3901.

Plus of the 3901: It's almost half the size of the L4150, which opens up fitting on my trailer so I can tow it around if need be, and will be much easier to maneuver around the thick woods and much easier to build a road for. It's 11hp less than the old tractor, but according to the dealer will still work all of our implements just fine. It comes standard with skid steer style quick attach bucket (set of pallet forks would be very handy), lift capacity of the bucket is like 1,200lbs.

That was one of the reasons why I got rid of the L4150, the hydraulics were never at 100%, so it would not lift a full bucket of sand. 3pt worked great, so we kept it for as long as we did. The only real cons that I see for the 3901 is the physical size, I'm just concerned that I'm going to spend 20k+ on it and come to find it it bogs down or starts to loose traction all the time while discing a field. Used for general camp work for food plots, and will be used for a lot of bucket work now that i'll have a tractor with a bucket that works properly.

There is not a lot out there, that I would spend money on, for used tractors. There's one in Alanson, an L4200, but they want $19,900, and it's a 1995....so what's the point of that over brand new.

Any insight from the gl4x4 community? The question is, will I buy it, then quickly find the limites of the tractor and hit them often?

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
Just doing a quick Google search, it looks like the new tractor would be 1300-1500 pounds lighter. That's a pretty significant weight difference.

IF you were to purchase this model and this was a problem, can't you just add a ballast box or wheel weights? If the physical size of the other tractor was a problem, seems like this is the best solution. (IF there is a problem)

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably could add wheel weights, however the dealer did quote a 3901 with loaded R4 Industrial tires. I told them I wanted the R4 instead of the R1 tread AG tires, cause the AG tires tear up a lot any time you drive (the 4150 had ag tires).

Really my only hiccup at this point, it's just going from a 6 foot+ side, 6,500lb tractor to a 5.5ft 5,000lb one. I keep telling myself that a smaller phsicial size tractor would be super handy, but for the last 15 years i've used a big ass 50 hp one

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
You will be down on power, there's no denying that.

Are there other manufactures that offer something in between what you had and what you are looking at? Isn't there a New Holland dealer right in town? Might want to stop and talk with them.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will be down on power, there's no denying that.

Are there other manufactures that offer something in between what you had and what you are looking at? Isn't there a New Holland dealer right in town? Might want to stop and talk with them.
There is a new Holland dealer, but I don't think I want to go with one. Never heard anything good about them, plus I have been happy with kubota so far. I'm not 100% concerned about the loss of power going from the 4150 to the 3901, mostly because the 4150 had hydraulic issues that prevented it from actually being used fully. I feel like it would take getting used to, but i'm excited to have a tractor where I can get a full scoop of dirt or gravel and actually use the bucket.

I'm hoping that my concerns would be more towards the learning curve going from a gear shift 50hp tractor, to a hydro 39hp one, and not necessarily because the 39hp tractor is too small. Of course the dealer says that the 3901 will do everything the 4150 would, just slower, which makes sense, however they're also a dealer...and trying to make a sale.

·
Skymaster
2,517 Posts
My buddy has a 4044m deere to maintain his 80 acres up north and 26 at home. No cab so the height is good for making trails and avoiding higher branches. The bucket control is a lot better than his dad's smaller Kubota. Also the deere has separate pedals for forward and reverse as opposed to his kubota has a "rocker pedal" with forward and reverse on one.

·
Gustafson
9,172 Posts
My buddy has a 4044m deere to maintain his 80 acres up north and 26 at home. No cab so the height is good for making trails and avoiding higher branches. The bucket control is a lot better than his dad's smaller Kubota. Also the deere has separate pedals for forward and reverse as opposed to his kubota has a "rocker pedal" with forward and reverse on one.
I was going to suggest looking at John Deere as well, but after I mentioned New Holland I got the feeling he had his mind made up that he wanted another Kubota. :LOL:

·
Project Antitube
902 Posts
I'd go up a size. 70" or so wheelbase, 3300lb range, and a pump that moves at least 10gpm. Still small enough you can fit places but no so wimpy you can't lift heavy things. Enough hydraulics that you can use a 3-point backhoe. Not so big you can't pull it out with another tractor or a pickup.

I know some people with a Massey 1735M and a 2705E. I think from my limited experience with tractors, if I were to buy a new one, it'd be like one of those.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,680 Posts
I didn't look up the model to see if you're going diesel or not, but from what I understand, the Kubotas have had trouble witb thier emissions on the newer units. If that's going to affect you, you may want to look into something yanmar powered, or stay earlier than a 2013 model that was pre-emission controlled.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to suggest looking at John Deere as well, but after I mentioned New Holland I got the feeling he had his mind made up that he wanted another Kubota. :LOL:
I have not looked at john deere too closely, I don't really like them. No real reason, other than preference. Didn't mean to immediately throw out the NH suggestion; just I am reasonably sure I want another Kubota. One thing that the kubota would have above john deere, in the quick disconnect loader; I took one off at the dealer, took literally 60 seconds. I know almost nothing about New Holland other than that. I do see that they're are comparitively cheaper, though the scuttlebutt is they're not as "heavy duty". Though I have no real world experience with them.

I'd go up a size. 70" or so wheelbase, 3300lb range, and a pump that moves at least 10gpm. Still small enough you can fit places but no so wimpy you can't lift heavy things. Enough hydraulics that you can use a 3-point backhoe. Not so big you can't pull it out with another tractor or a pickup.

I know some people with a Massey 1735M and a 2705E. I think from my limited experience with tractors, if I were to buy a new one, it'd be like one of those.
That's kinda my debate, the hang up is if the 3901 is going to end up being too small. only problem is the next size up in the economy tractors is the 4701, which is still almost 10K more for not that much bigger. To go to something like an MX5400 (kubota) would be almost no different than the L4150, size wise, so There wouldn't be much point to getting it. Other than a new, actually working, tractor. But would still run in to the same size/weight issues.

The 3901 does have options for a backhoe, was watching a guy on YT that just bought the 3901 with a backhoe and ended up actaully talking to the guy directly. Had a lot of good things to say about it, few downsides, mostly the size of the backhoe, small bucket size, hard to pull bigger stumps...etc, but did not run into power issues with it.

I didn't look up the model to see if you're going diesel or not, but from what I understand, the Kubotas have had trouble witb thier emissions on the newer units. If that's going to affect you, you may want to look into something yanmar powered, or stay earlier than a 2013 model that was pre-emission controlled.
I have not read anything about the DPF systems causing problems in the new models, I remember when they started putting them in that they had issues in cold weather with the engines running away, but they solved that back in 2017, and I have not read much for recent issues with it. Other than main complaint is that people keep putting off the cleanout cycle and have to wait 15 minutes before the tractor will shut off when they go to turn it off. Seems like if you just let the engine do it's thing while your working, no problems, no waiting.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Unfortunately they do not make tractors like the one you just sold anymore I just dropped 35K on a new tractor 3 months ago I studied every single day hours on end leading up to my purchase. What it all comes down to is Your needs and your wants. I chose an obscure off brand tractor that fulfilled my needs and wants. The biggest deciding factor for me is the TYM brand is the last manufacture to run a mechanical injection system where everyone in the market has switched to common rail injection with sensors and electrical shit stuck every where. The wiring harness on my tractor is about as big around as my pinkie and I have a bosch injector pump bolted to the side of the motor that any shade tree diesel mechanic can work on. Before you drop a dime on a kubota, I would rent that model and play with it for a HARD weekend I rented one last fall and quickly found it was not the tractor for me as I HATE THAT DAM ROCKER PEDAL. It was fine for the first 4 hours but after that I quickly found my leg seizing up with Charlie horses while operating. The pedal location did not work well for me. Do your home work I test drove 5 tractors at 3 dealers I love my choice and I think my old man is now going to get a smaller TYM
also.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately they do not make tractors like the one you just sold anymore I just dropped 35K on a new tractor 3 months ago I studied every single day hours on end leading up to my purchase. What it all comes down to is Your needs and your wants. I chose an obscure off brand tractor that fulfilled my needs and wants. The biggest deciding factor for me is the TYM brand is the last manufacture to run a mechanical injection system where everyone in the market has switched to common rail injection with sensors and electrical shit stuck every where. The wiring harness on my tractor is about as big around as my pinkie and I have a bosch injector pump bolted to the side of the motor that any shade tree diesel mechanic can work on. Before you drop a dime on a kubota, I would rent that model and play with it for a HARD weekend I rented one last fall and quickly found it was not the tractor for me as I HATE THAT DAM ROCKER PEDAL. It was fine for the first 4 hours but after that I quickly found my leg seizing up with Charlie horses while operating. The pedal location did not work well for me. Do your home work I test drove 5 tractors at 3 dealers I love my choice and I think my old man is now going to get a smaller TYM
I do agree on all the electronics and stuff. I think I still am going to go with the Kubota, mostly just because that's what my "vision" has been so I'd like to see that through. I've talked to 3 people who have the exact same tractor, 2 of them have owned it since 2015. The first guy had the engine runaway from the DPF system; something about the wiring or something causing the fuel to wide open but then not stopping. He was still a fan, the dealer ended up replacing the entire engine under warranty, technically they said it was still "good", but they replaced it just in case. They seem to be pretty good, and no real issues. Couple things I saw while reading and talking was issues with the headlight and horn button breaking off as the position of it causes your knee to constantly hit it when you turn around looking at the 3pt. They all suggested to get the upgraded 3p adjuster arms that replace the turn buckles and move them to telescoping arms.

I turned in the paperwork yesterday for it. Only question the dealer had was the tires. I originally wanted the R4 industrial tires, and they didn't have any instock for that size, so he was going to upgrade me (no cost) to the R14T tires.

The guy had nothing but good things to say about the R14T tires, they look like a good tire, but I wasn't sure I actually wanted them. I ended up sticking with the R4, cause that's the tires I have experience with, and that was part of my "Vision" for what I wanted in my tractor.

Did I make a mistake by not getting the R14Ts? There is not a lot of reviews about them that I can see online.

Being able to transport your tractor Is a huge thing, I don't go far, but when I need to go I can and will.
RBB
That is a big factor for me as well. The 3901 i'm looking at would fit on my current trailer without any modifications. Though It has removable ramps that I think I want to make into regular folding ramps. Both my WK and my truck will tow it no problem.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being able to transport your tractor Is a huge thing, I don't go far, but when I need to go I can and will.

RBB View attachment 277817
I looked into these a bit earlier today...I actually really like what I see. Now I kinda wish I had looked at these more.

Though I technically haven't signed anything on the Kubota yet. I have seen/heard nothing but positive from the Yanmar engines, and Yanmar equipment in general. I really like the mechanical everything on the motor.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I plan on running this thing till I die, I know How to bypass the emissions BS when it starts to fail. Because we all know it will fail, and I will just rewire the motor in true Hillbilly way. I love the telescopic 3 point arms and extra external 3 point controls makes switching implements a ton easier and safer. I did break off a couple bolts on my loader but I don't know if it is a design flaw or if I was playing to rough either way the dealer took care of me and I now have a plan to make it stronger the next time it breaks. If I were you I would at least go take a look at them before going all in on the Kubota.

RBB

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on running this thing till I die, I know How to bypass the emissions BS when it starts to fail. Because we all know it will fail, and I will just rewire the motor in true Hillbilly way. I love the telescopic 3 point arms and extra external 3 point controls makes switching implements a ton easier and safer. I did break off a couple bolts on my loader but I don't know if it is a design flaw or if I was playing to rough either way the dealer took care of me and I now have a plan to make it stronger the next time it breaks. If I were you I would at least go take a look at them before going all in on the Kubota.

RBB
There is a dealer near me that sells them. I'm off Friday, so I will be going to take a look at them and test drive one. The biggest thing for me, I can't come up with cash up front (leats not 100%), so financing is my way to go. Kubota's deal is 0% financing for up to 84 months, same as cash. I can find a TYM to fit my wants and get good financing.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
That is one part I had a hell of a time with while tractor shopping was all the BS regarding Pricing and financing. New Holland had like 6 different prices for each tractor depending on financing and other variables for the same tractor. and of course non of them want you to be able to compare apples to apples.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts