Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just saw on CNBC They (the government) is talking about a tax credit for people being in shape!! Since they don't cost the tax payers nearly as much as an over weight person.
They said they don't want to have to penalize people for being over weight but they will, so they want to have a system where people could have to pay some sort of taxes based on your health and you'll get credit based on your health all the way down to where you could get a tax break (pay less than you do now) for being in great shape.
It looks like if you were in a 27% tax bracket you'd drop to a 23% Then this program would be a 2% to 8% tax to start if your in great shape your in the 2% morbidly obese 8% Don't quote me but that's how they made it sound.
They said the obese, smokers and alcoholics would pay more taxes than anyone. I would guess manditory annual physicals, and results sent in with 1040's
They said,morbidly obese, costs the country a fortune so they would get slammed.
Of coarse it's in the begining stages and would have to go through the system.

What do you think? Where would you fit in?

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
I fit in as a fat tax paying ass.

Now, the unemployed/underemployed are the ones costing the money. Drop thier ass, they will then lose weight.

·
Retired double dipper
984 Posts
Who is they (the gov)?
Is this the Harry and Nancy team?

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
seems that this idea, would fly in the face of existing ADA legislation and case law.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
If they use the current BMI standard it will be a mess.

And your also basing health on weight, and that is not always the case.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
If they don't have a common medical system then they've really got no business trying to set a common base of taxation on the health of people.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that over the last 10 years I've seen the doctor less times than the "healthy" people that this supposedly would cover.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If they don't have a common medical system then they've really got no business trying to set a common base of taxation on the health of people.
I don't know, I think it's an attempt at starting to deal with this countries health issues. We blow the doors off any country when it comes to obesity. They said something like 31% of americans are obese, not over weight, obese. Look at how many people quit smoking when the raised the tax so people had to pay 5 buck a pack. They're thinking along those lines I guess.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You know, I tried to say something when "big brother" starting messing with the smokers. I hope it bites all the ANTI smokers that got "big brother" involved in the ass and they get nailed for being fat alcoholics :stan:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That would be badass.

Think of all the chubby Senators it would have to clear though. Not likely.
I don't know, I think the media would out the senators by going up to the... sizable ones and say, how did you vote and why?

I don't know what the answer is but if you look at the numbers of how fast this countries health care is going south it's unreal. They're taking small steps now, like the taking out the trans fats (whatever those are) from food and taking twinkies and reg. pop out of school vending machines. I heard that 1 can of reg. coke has 13tsps of sugar. If you put 13tsps of sugar in a zip lock it's a lot and I think sugar's as bad as fat...

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
If nothing else it could get people to take interest in their health as they should. when we travel europe it does not take long to see how much healthier they are, at least in the areas we traveled. Our obesity I feel is linked to bad eating and pure laziness for the most part, I saw Hack at the open house and meant to tell him he looked good but forgot. Looks like he has lost some weight, I remember a post he put up about purchase of a bike to get in better shape.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
baaaad big brother....I don't like dregs on society, but the gov't can just stay the hell out of health issues. kthanxbye.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts