Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of the DNR cracking down on tubers (floating down a river) and the amount of beer you can have? I've heard that you can only have 6, and they have to be on your person.

That would suck. Anyone have a clue?

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
If you can only have six, just bring six 40oz's with you, that should be enough

·
Better than Newbie
2,829 Posts
so then tie some up to a string and put some lead with it, and then tie it to your tube.

that would be retarded if its true. i could maybe see the whole drunk in public thing, but they're allowing 6 beers? that'd be the dumbest thing ever.

·
8,046 Posts
That rule is a standard for most canoe/tube places. I'm not sure that the dnr has a limit of six. However, there may be laws reguarding drunk boating that apply. In my expierience as long as you aren't being an ass, you should be ok. Yetti may be able to kick you towards an accual law.

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
That rule is a standard for most canoe/tube places. I'm not sure that the dnr has a limit of six. However, there may be laws reguarding drunk boating that apply. In my expierience as long as you aren't being an ass, you should be ok. Yetti may be able to kick you towards an accual law.
i would agree with Mongo...look at the rules many liverys have...it says 6 beers per person. Its been that way for a long time. I've never had my cooler checked by one of them tho'

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can only have six, just bring six 40oz's with you, that should be enough
Brilliant!

Thanks for the help fellas. I've never gone through a livery before, just done it all myself on the Manistee. This is going to be a livery on the Muskegon though.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Brilliant!

Thanks for the help fellas. I've never gone through a livery before, just done it all myself on the Manistee. This is going to be a livery on the Muskegon though.
\

I realize that you are joking just a reminder that glass on the river not a good idea.

The liveries on the Ausable and Rifle that we have used for years help load and unload the coolers for us. :woot:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I question that

This is open intox in a public place ( the river ) it has never been legal
The State doesn't really distinguish between a canoe, tube, boat, etc..... There is no law on the amount of alcohol on a boat. It's not illegal as long as the operator ( boat driver, canoeist, guy on the tube) is below the legal limit which I believe is .08.

Just my $.02 ( and I have been known to be wrong):thumb:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I recently kayaked the Pere Marquette the rules there say 4 cans per person. We went on our own and never ran into any law enforcement. A 5 liter mini keg looks like 1 can to me. I have heard of law enforcement waiting around bends in the river and stopping rowdy people. Not sure about tubers but have heard of canoers being arrested for operating a water craft under the influence.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
The glass will get you in trouble long before 7+ beers.
Yeah but inexperienced canoers will get you even sooner.:tonka: I don't know how many times I have had to yell sit down or don't grab that branch :thumb: It's not fun to be wet the entire day when it's not 90 and sunny out.

·
Lurker
203 Posts
Two weeks ago by Croton Dam, DNR passing out trespassing tickets ($175). Said the limit is four beers. Last weekend we had no problems.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Seriously how can it not be open intox in public ? you cant walk down the street with a beer .

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Two weeks ago by Croton Dam, DNR passing out trespassing tickets ($175). Said the limit is four beers. Last weekend we had no problems.
What does trespassing have to do with this silly beer limit rule??

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Seriously how can it not be open intox in public ? you cant walk down the street with a beer .
To johnny law my boat and a canoe are the same thing when it comes to laws on the water. I can pack a cooler of beer on my boat, why not on a canoe or kayak?

What about bonfires, camping, etc. on state land, are you not allowed legally to have beer there?

Are you saying that technically you can only drink beer on your own property or at an establishment?

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
To johnny law my boat and a canoe are the same thing when it comes to laws on the water. I can pack a cooler of beer on my boat, why not on a canoe or kayak?

What about bonfires, camping, etc. on state land, are you not allowed legally to have beer there?

Are you saying that technically you can only drink beer on your own property or at an establishment?

I do think that is true. Exept when you pay the fee to camp you are renting that property. This in turn means that you could also try to bring a tresspassing charge upon someone who tried to get in your shit at a campsite. So for the night or however long you rented that peice of land it is just like being at home.

As far as the canoe/tube and beer thing. Just dont be an ass and you will be fine..
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: = typical beer consumption on a 4 hour canoe trip for Herb. Thats more than six..:sonicjay:

·
Registered
9,864 Posts

camp site you have rented and there for is temporary private land use .

Boat , even a canoe maybe i can see . on a tube is the same as walking the street it seems to me . You cant walk out of a bar with a beer on to the street can you .

I dont know where the split comes there actually thats why im asking .

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
camp site you have rented and there for is temporary private land use .

Boat , even a canoe maybe i can see . on a tube is the same as walking the street it seems to me . You cant walk out of a bar with a beer on to the street can you .

I dont know where the split comes there actually thats why im asking .
Sadly anthing you choose to float on that is not an actual canoe or kayak can be deemed a "vessel" if johnny law decides to, meaning he can write you a PFD ticket for not having one on board.

Yes, all the way down to a 2x4.

SOOO I would use the same logic to assume I can take beer on my vessel just the same as any other vessel operator.

Too bad jonny law will have his own interpretation

1 - 20 of 51 Posts