Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 98 cherokee sport lifted 3inch lift sitting on 31's It needs tires bad and I am at a gross roads of what tire to get I want something I can daily drive on that isn't super loud but I can go through alot with.... I was looking at the interco Truxus Mt's and then the MT claws not sure what to get input would be great. Also I am looking at putting new gears in the rear and front when I do my U joints I plan on putting lockers in as well input much needed.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
You should buy some Rubicon take-offs, which are 245/75r16 Goodyear MT/R's. They pop up a lot. There's even an unused spare in Parts For Sale right now. Collecting spares is a good way to get them. They are usually unused.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered my 31 trxus mts what gears do I need for my 98 cherokee obviously 4:10's in front and the rear do i have dana 30, and 35??? and should I lock both the front and rear or just the rear?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I ordered my 31 trxus mts what gears do I need for my 98 cherokee obviously 4:10's in front and the rear do i have dana 30, and 35??? and should I lock both the front and rear or just the rear?
Whoa, what? It is possible that you have the d35 but it is also possible that you have the Chrysler 8.25. If I were you I wouldn't regear just for 31s, unless you have no intentions of going bigger in the future.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Yeah, you don't need to do anything for 31's. 3.55's and 31's in an XJ will feel pretty good, actually. You'll get pretty good mileage with that combo, too. I ran mine that way for a while on a 6" lift.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Everyone has told me to do 4:10 gears for playing but... this is why i ask for everyone oppinion. So why shouldn't I do 4:10's won't his help me climb and go through obstacles?
The change in tire size does not warrant a gear change. You're barely changing anything at all. If you were going to 33's your performance would be affected a lot more. 4.10's would be helpful and the cost would be justified in that case.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I checked I have a the c8.25 with a 3.55 gear ration.
That axle will survive a lot longer and with bigger tires (up to maybe 35"), but lockers for it are expensive. I have a Detroit in mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.