Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i started my lift today on my 2000 cherokee, we got the front done and are now in the process of taking out one of the old leaf springs. well one of the bolts will not come out! the bolt we think is seized to the little metal bushing that goes through the rubber bushing. here are some pics of the bolt any ideas on how to get this thing out? sorry if i didnt explain things well im wore out expecially fighting with that bolt. thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Cut it.

You need a new one anyway...

·
Registered
123 Posts
x2
Use a sawzall between the spring eye and the bracket to cut the bolt flush with the spring eye bushing.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
DON'T CUT IT !!! Just lifted the wife"s 2000 xj yesterday the nut is welded in place thats why you don't see it on the other side . Spray a bunch of pb nut blaster on it and keep turning. it will come out. It takes a bit but gotta save that bolt because the replacement bolt isn't the SAME . Use a lot of lube it helps. Wire brush the bolt off real good .clean it up . When you go to put it back in grease it up it will bolt in alot easier and faster . and seeing it's the front if that weld nut break loose and is spinning gotta go thru the rear floor to get to it . It happened to me on my 96 xj and a real pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
Umm, did you look at the pix? :fish:

It is already out of the nut on the other side. That's why it won't come out any further.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
DON'T CUT IT !!! Just lifted the wife"s 2000 xj yesterday the nut is welded in place thats why you don't see it on the other side . Spray a bunch of pb nut blaster on it and keep turning. it will come out. It takes a bit but gotta save that bolt because the replacement bolt isn't the SAME . Use a lot of lube it helps. Wire brush the bolt off real good .clean it up . When you go to put it back in grease it up it will bolt in alot easier and faster . and seeing it's the front if that weld nut break loose and is spinning gotta go thru the rear floor to get to it . It happened to me on my 96 xj and a real pain in the ass.
no you don't, get a whole saw and put a hole on the inside of the unibody and big enough to get a socket into and you can put a bolt straight through from the outside and put a nut on the inside. alot easier than going through the floor!!!!!! done it on my 96 xj.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I still say lube it did a shackle lift on the wifes and the top bolts were like that in the rear also used a pry bar behind the head with a wrench to and pressure as someone else turned it

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
dam wish someone told me that when I did mine I was told go thru the floor ok I'll shut up now

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I still say lube it did a shackle lift on the wifes and the top bolts were like that in the rear also used a pry bar behind the head with a wrench to and pressure as someone else turned it
now your talking I also did that, and if you aren't reusing the springs or the bushings, more than likely not, a little heat goes a long way, just be real careful and pay attention and have a fire extiguiser handy just in case:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts