Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been through 2 now, the stock one, and now an aftermarket 1 yr old "OEM quality", (read: piece of shit) and want something that's going to last longer than a year.
Vehicle 2" BB lifted 265-70's Upcountry pkg.
Suggestions..?

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
i dont even think you need a steering stabilizer, I'm on soa on a cj with 35's and i dont have one. It just gets in the way imo.

or go

skyjacker/rough-county im pretty sure there are a bunch out there, shit open any off road magazine, they are all over the place. Pick one that is a pretty color you like and buy it.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I deff. need one, its my DD and I don't wheel it at all. Its all over the road without it. I asked for suggestions because the last "pretty one" I picked lasted 9 months before the seal blew. ill look into the skyjacker ones and see what ppl have to say.

·
Gustafson
10,087 Posts
OME has a good one, that is what I am going to get. They are pricey and I know people complain about that, but I have never ever heard anyone say anything bad about them in terms of performance or quality...

http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/wj/wj_dualsssetup.html

EDIT: Kevins also says the hard-kor ones are good too...

·
Gustafson
10,087 Posts
if its that bad with out it you have a problem somewhere. i guarantee it
Might need an alignment, mine was all over the place before I got it dialed in just right.

Lifted WJ's get squirrely though, from what I have read its got something to do with the way the front steering is setup.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
If you are killing them in a year, I would said take it in and have an alignment done. To replace one every year means to me it hiding the real problem.

·
AAA GOLD ROCKS!!!!!
8,512 Posts

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front end has a bad tie rod end which I know about, but I don't think that would cause the seal to go bad on the stabilizer. Its meant to go back and forth anyways, hell a shock absorber takes that sorta abuse daily :sonicjay: I've dealt with kevins before maybe ill see what they got to offer.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
tape -> over leak = still leaking + more tape = still gonna leak + i know i got more tape = still gonna leak + hey i will just get some new tape = still gonna leak.

Find the real problem and fix it and any stabilizer would/should work.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tape -> over leak = still leaking + more tape = still gonna leak + i know i got more tape = still gonna leak + hey i will just get some new tape = still gonna leak.

Find the real problem and fix it and any stabilizer would/should work.
Did you read the above posts? :poke: The wandering is a combination of a bad tie rod end, and the stabilizer. What makes you think that the TRE took out the stabilizer? Shocks are identical for the most part, and take the abuse that a steering shimmy would duplicate on the stabilizer all day long going over bumps, etc....

·
"Grocery Getter"
172 Posts
i know most people dont like rustys but i have one of their stabilizers on mine and i dont have any problems. ive got 255's with a 2.5" lift and its my daily driver. plus it was only 30 bucks

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
Did you read the above posts? :poke: The wandering is a combination of a bad tie rod end, and the stabilizer. What makes you think that the TRE took out the stabilizer? Shocks are identical for the most part, and take the abuse that a steering shimmy would duplicate on the stabilizer all day long going over bumps, etc....
fix the TRE first, thats your biggest problem. if everything in your steering is good and aligned properly, you can drive down the road fine without a stabilizer. fixt the TRE and anything else, then get it aligned, THEN get new stabilizer

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well more or less i just wanted opinions on what everyone liked. Im going to do everything at once that needs to be done in the front end. I know the stabilizer is bad, there is not a question of that. Thanks for all the input guys :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts