Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says I need new brakes for my 00xj sport. The brakes that I have in right now suck and I am asking for opinions onto which brand I should get and what I should look for. I recall reading a long time ago that certain pads will break as a rivet on the back of the pad wears out from to much rubbing(forget where I had seen this)?
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also when I begin to slow down and almost come to a stop there is a loud clunk that seems to come from the back of the xj, I check the front end and everything is tight. The only problem with the rear end is that I have sagging leaf springs. Could that be what is causing the noise?

Thanks
Tom

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,900 Posts
Bendix pads are great if you can pony up the cash for them. They are an OEM replacment or somtimes better than OEM. They carry a limited lifetime waranty. You get ONE free replacment for as long as you have them installed.

Cheap pads will wear faster, leave alot of brake dust on your rims.

Ceramics are nice since they will stop ya fast and leave no noticable brake dust. .... but they tear the rotors up faster since they are more abrasive.

for the clunking could be your R&P??? Check u-joints (would think it would clunk on take off and not coast but worth a check)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts