Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was playing around out back and got stuck then he pulled me off the hill while i was in four wheel drive the passenger tire locks up. Then when i unlock the hub it rolls fine what did i break im new to the toyota's dont have a clue on what im doing with axles on them thanks for whoever could help me out cause there is a snow run i have planned to go to in feb.

·
I like sparklers
175 Posts
What kind of Toy?. Solid axle front? Assuming so sounds like possibly a broken birfield, again depending on the year. Like pre 1985...

296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea solid front end thats what i figured that it was a broken birfield is that what u think or do u have other suggestions and are they are to change im used to working on ford and chevys

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
its probly the birfield with those big tires you are going to break alot of them
35'' or bigger just rips them apart
i might have an extra set of axles but i would save up for an eliminater kit or bigger axles

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Longfield's are the best aftermarket axles for the Toyota axles. $600 for the set, and $65 for each hub gear that you'd need in order to qualify for the lifetime warranty.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Well for around 800, you'd have an axle nearly as strong as a Dana 60 (So they say), or you could go for the good 1tons that normally sell for that much a piece. But depending on how or where you wheel, you could get away with 3/4 tons. But then you're doing custom drive shafts and steering and all that stuff.

The rear axle is already as strong as you should need. A lot of guys I've seen running the bigger tires on rocks and all that havent even done anything to the rear except gears and welded spiders/locker.

·
I like sparklers
175 Posts
Replacing a birf is a messy job. If it were me I would look at replacing all the seals and rebuild the front axle at the same time since your all ready that deep in.

Its a matter of how hard you wheel I suppose. Full throttle and turning the wheels all the way to one side or another will increase your chances of breaking one. Bigger tires doesnt help either.

If your easy on the skinny pedal you can do fine with 35s and stock birfields. A locker also adds to the stress on them.

Anyway. Longfields are the way to go if you have the $$. Do it one time and be done with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts