Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my St. Bernard for about a year now. He was 16 weeks old when we adopted him. The people who adopted him from told us what Dog food he eats. So that's what we bought. Ever since the first day we brought him home he will not eat on a regular basis. He will eat a little food and walk away. I put the food down for 30 minutes in the morning and at dinner time if he don't eat I pick it up. He will go sometime 3 days without eating. We Do not give him table scraps. The only thing he ever gets other then dog food is if my 3 year old drops something shes eating and he gets there before me. We have sought advice from Three different Vets. Nothing has helped. I have tried many different Dog foods at the Vet recommendations. all three of the Vets say he's healthy but is underweight.

I don't know if the people we got him from gave him alot of table scraps. They claim they did not. I just don't know what to do. Most people say don't worry he will eat when he's hungry. But the Vets have told me it's not healthy for him to go three days without eating. I have other things in life that are stressing me out, My Daughter has some special needs, My Job. I just want to solve this problem so I can take this off of my mind.

Any idea's?

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,563 Posts
Ive also got a dog that is a picky eater. With Rocky, Ive decided that he just doesnt like the taste of the kibble, so every week I buy a carton of chicken broth from the store, and sprinkle a little on his food every day. I have also upped the amount of exercise that he gets every day, and that also made a difference in how he eats. We walk 2 miles every morning, and run 2 miles every other night or so.

·
Extraordinarily Ordinary
16,885 Posts
X2 on the chicken broth
you may also want to try adding some cooked rice or canned food to his kibble

·
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
4,727 Posts
I thought St Bernards drank liquior...lol no thats not right they carry it...whatever...

It's a big dog...try putting the food up where the dog dosen't have to reach so far down to eat, I had a Great Dane that wouldn't eat unless the food was up on the seat of a chair or something....

·
spelling nazi
2,563 Posts
My dog has gone on a couple runs of not eating his food before, it's pretty irritating. I would cut the time that the food is down to 15 minutes each time. Don't feed him any treats at all - you don't want him to think he deserves those when he's not eating regular food.

You should exercise him, like FF says, that'll help some.

Think over putting additives in the food (gravy, treats, broth, whatever) over before you actually do it. Your dog might decide that's the only way he'll eat it going forward.

A trick that helped me is ONLY giving him water in his food. If he wanted his water, he'd have to eat as well.

I also switched him to some high quality high-protein food (Wellness Core), but that shit's expensive. He's now on Pro-plan lamb & rice w/ chunks, which he enjoys.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the quick replies. I have tried the chicken broth and beef broth. His dog food container that is high off the ground. I tried mixing wet dog food with dry food.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had many big dogs, my last saint would do the same thing that yours does, would not eat when you put the food down, pick at it, walk away.

I tried changing the food, not much luck, I ended up just leaving the food down 24hrs a day, just keep refilling it when I saw it go down. Most big dogs will take a few bites every hour all day long, unlike the little dogs that work faster than a vacuum cleaner sucking it out of the bowl. I have never had a problem with the dog over eating as they really seem to pace themselves.

the above ideal of a raised bowl is good too. Something with their throat and the angles (What my vet told me)

(I currently have an English Mastiff, was a breader of Saints)

·
Filthy, Dirty Jeep Girl
194 Posts
We have no picky eaters in our dogs. They all eat anything and everything we put down. My mother in laws dog on the other hand is a huge picky eater! That dog lol I tell ya he cracks me up....he also has food allergies that cause skin conditions. But being there to watch and aide in my mother in laws trial and tribulations when it comes to him I've seen alot. What finally ended up working is boneless skinless chicken breast she cooks up some every few days and puts it in the fridge and mixes it in with his dry kibble.

Alot of times when you stop and think of all the "crap" in dog foods, table scraps really aren't all that bad for them, it really depends on what it is.

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
can you leave the food down or will the other dog get it?

I know some people who have luck with free feeding their dogs and they regulate their own weight very well.

also the exercise might help too.
I've personally never came across this. I figure if they are hungry they will eat.

good luck!

·
Midwest Mudslinger
1,074 Posts
I've found with my Shepherd (also picky) it was the size. Started buying Purina little bites and the problem went away. She also has food down 24hrs and does not overeat at all.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can you leave the food down or will the other dog get it?

I know some people who have luck with free feeding their dogs and they regulate their own weight very well.

also the exercise might help too.
I've personally never came across this. I figure if they are hungry they will eat.

good luck!

I can leave the food down he's the only Dog we have. I used to leave his food down all the time. Then all the Vets I talked to put it down for 30 minute then pick it up. This will teach him to eat when he has a chance. I think I'm just going to start leaving it down all the time again and see what happens. I do take him for a long walk everyday.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Reed my teef
2,723 Posts
X2 on keeping the food at an easy to reach height. It's not healthy for dogs to reach way down with their neck to chew and swallow their food. Or in some dogs, just swallow.

·
GLFWDA VP
4,307 Posts
My dogs aren't picky either, they will eat anything that don't eat them first.... I feed Pride brand, I have boxers, makes them look really good and makes their coats very very shiney..

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
I've heard this before with big dogs. And part of the problem is the dog not getting enough exercise so they don't get hungry enough. After they threw the dog on the treadmill or went for an hour walk. After a 1/2 hour at a good pace on the treadmill it ate whatever you put in front of it. :sonicjay:

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Our mutts are free fed and still sometimes go a day or two without eating in the past. We recently had some medical issues with our one dog and were given a prescription food from the vet for free. We wound up mixing it in both the dogs bowls to stop any fights. After we ran out I googled the food to find out its actual cost and one thing lead to another and I discovered how shitty most dog foods are. We found a new meat based dog food and they both devour it everyday now and the one with the problems is much better.

Cliffs: Most dog foods are made with corn meal. Dogs need meat. Find a food that is meat based.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts