Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Web Wheeling!
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty much at wits end with this damn noise. When I move the steering from lock to lock there is a nasty "clunk". This happens at different points in the steering as well. Every once in a while it's when I'm moving the steering halfway to the left, and then it might change another time to all the way to the right. It almost sounds like something is getting hung up, then breaking loose. I can actually see my wheels jerking with the sound. Any ideas to what this sound might be coming from before I start tearing into it? All the linkage is nice and tight.

It's a 2001 Cherokee Sport. 4.0

Problem solved. Damn track bar had an inch of play in it. No wonder the jeep handled like shit. The bolt was pretty much fubar. Thanks for all your help. Everything else in the steering checked out.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I'd say it's something involving the track bar. The mounting holes are prone to wallowing out, so nothing looks bad, but it's moving from side to side when you turn. Had this exact same problem and it was one of the holes on the axle end track bar mount.

Just lay there on the ground and have someone turn the wheel back and fourth and watch everything closely, but pay specific attention to the track bar ends.

·
Charcoal Mellowed
1,288 Posts
Add front axle u-joints and steering gear bolts to that list too. Mine made a similar noise when the aluminum spacer behind the steering gear took a shit.

·
Web Wheeler Extraordinair
2,278 Posts
I had the same thing, and it was from a bad trac bar mount and a bad steering box spacer that actually broke apart. You could just take it to get an alignment and they'll tell you what's wrong with it, or just look under it while somebody turns the wheel. Both of these problems are very common though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts