Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
they were "squishy" and the light came on.so i put new pads f&r. 2 days later the light is back on and she has no breaks. the pedal goes to the floor real easy and doesn't get much better after pumping them. i'm guessing it's the booster but i figure i'd ask before throwing coin at it.

what do ya think?

thanks aron

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blown brake line, leaky master cylinder, leaking wheel cyl.

Did u check the fluid level before throwing coin at the brake pads and shoes?
ya thats why i thought it was pads.

i'm going to go bleed them now and check the lines. i didnt have a helper the last time.

·
Premium Member
15,718 Posts
A squishy pedal wil be caused by loss of pressure in the system. Air will enter the lines and compress. Bleeding the lines without finding where the leak is will only work for a few stops. Check underneath the rear of the master cyl on the front of the booster for wetness.

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A squishy pedal wil be caused by loss of pressure in the system. Air will enter the lines and compress. Bleeding the lines without finding where the leak is will only work for a few stops. Check underneath the rear of the master cyl on the front of the booster for wetness.
that sound exactly whats going on. thanks.

·
broken
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just went over every inch of her system and no leaks. infact it might be the only thing that doesn't leak.

does the above sound like a booster problem?

·
EvL 1
3,566 Posts
well i just went over every inch of her system and no leaks. infact it might be the only thing that doesn't leak.

does the above sound like a booster problem?
I always thought the booster was just that a booster. Shouldn't you still have brakes just have to push alot harder? This is more of a question then help for your problem, Sorry.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
1,658 Posts
If the vacuum booster was leaking/bad, the pedal would be hard, no assit due to leaking vacuum.

The squishy pedal with no visible leaks would be a good indication the the master cyl is bad and leaking out the rear seal into the vacuum booster. Crawl under the dash and pull back the carpet by the rod the attatches to the brake pedal. A lot of time the fluid leaking out the seal will travle down that rod and into the inside of the vehicle ans soak the carpet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts