Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
85 Toyota truggy, full width 60, 40's, full hydro, no street time, minimal high speed

For the last two years i have ran stock 22re, stock Toyota pump, big reservoir, cooler, 2x8 single end ram, 7.6 ci valve.....worked perfect, even at idle it was one finger steering lock to lock, no hesitation changing direction, plenty of power, it worked perfect.

This winter i swapped in a 5.3, used a van pump to keep the remote reservoir, same valve, same ram, same reservoir, comparable cooler.....steering sucks.

It has no power....i had to back out of warn valley yesterday at bundy because i can't steer.....it has no turning power at idle, you can't quickly change directions, if you get to lock at higher rpm the pump acts like it blew up and it takes about 10 mins of idling for it to return to normal.

What do i do? I don't have the $$ to call and order a full kit. I talked to Lance at psc....he says i just need a 2.5" ram. I have my doubts. Jfry10 has a 2.5 on his and his won't turn at idle either. The other issue is i would be at 5.5 turns lock to lock versus 3 and that would suck

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I could get a bigger valve but would need to be up around 13ci to get back to 3 turns i don't know if the pump would handle that.

Any ideas?

My thought is this....only thing i really changed is the pump. That's where i need to start....but what do i need?

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the Toyota pump put out ~960 psi and the gm one should be making 1300-1500psi...lets see, 50% more pressure, half the power....:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,673 Posts
whats the gpm of the new pump? if it makes more pressure but doesnt flow enough volume to actually move the ram that could be an issue. Your return line isnt collapsing and restricting flow to pump is it?

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what i can find its 3-3.5 gpm and i can't see where the lines would be collapsing....it's pretty heavy hose, no tight bends

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What i am wondering and can't find any info on is out put at idle....it's not horrible at higher rpms....i wonder if putting a smaller pulley on it would help. Dirty dingo has a 5" (stock is 6.5") designed for swaps where clearance is tight..maybe that would help as it would spin it faster relative to engine speed and theoretically boost idle out put?

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
What i am wondering and can't find any info on is out put at idle....it's not horrible at higher rpms....i wonder if putting a smaller pulley on it would help. Dirty dingo has a 5" (stock is 6.5") designed for swaps where clearance is tight..maybe that would help as it would spin it faster relative to engine speed and theoretically boost idle out put?
I know buggy tim did that with his old jeep, changed the pulley out and helped greatly at an idle.

·
Yooper In Training
7,290 Posts
If it all worked perfectly before and all that's changed was the pump, I don't see why you'd even consider changing anything other than the pump. I've heard good stuff about the pump mod but haven't tried it myself.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it all worked perfectly before and all that's changed was the pump, I don't see why you'd even consider changing anything other than the pump. I've heard good stuff about the pump mod but haven't tried it myself.
My exact thought.

After much reading on Pirate i have learned that there are many variations of the pump....some way better than others....problem is parts stores lump them all together so you never can be sure you are getting a good one unless you are prepared to sort through new pumps looking for the right one.

So i ordered a psc pump.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drilled out the orifice and stretched the spring on my stock pump in my YJ and I think it helped a little. This was for hydro assist.

But when I put a reman'd pump on it worked even better keeping the mods.
This matches up to what i read on pirate. Your reman pump may be better spec'd pump even though it has the same part # and application

·
Cool parts peddler
1,839 Posts
I think you made a good choice. Rebuilt anything from an auto parts store is a crap shoot at best. Quality rebuilt parts are almost impossible to find consistently.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
90% of the time what i have works ok....but when it doesn't is when you really need it. I'll pack the pump i have into my spare parts box on the trailer since it would get me off the trail if it had to.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My pump showed up yesterday. Sucks because it plumbs differently than what i have now. Got some work to do before Wednesday

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Psc pump seems to have fixed it. Two days at Harlan with no hiccups

1 - 20 of 22 Posts