Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my son lives downstate and is in need of someone to help him out on some work on his truck (truck was his grandpa's who passed away) anyway he needs someone to help him out he dont have alot of money he works at pondarosa and has no way to work on it

they took the truck to a guy who told them it was gonna be like 2 grand to swap motors or like 12 hours labot to change the timeing chain....
it is a 1998 dodge dakota 6 cyl

anyone able to give a quote and help the boy out.....

·
MMM Shrimp Slushy
1,980 Posts
I'm not super close but If he's mechanically inclined and just needs some guidance and tools I can give him a hand. Or I know a guy that will probably put a junk yard engine in it for half what he was quoted. This guys in Holly but My brother in law owns his own towing company so I could hook him up with towing as well.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
swap the engine or replace the timing chain? what is it that needs to be done? what problems is he having?

btw, I live about 10 minutes from Bancroft

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he has got everyone telling him this that and the other thing noone seams to know what the hell they are talking about and from what he told me tonight on the phone that a shop told him he needs the motor replaced since "those motors are junk and not worth the time to replace the timeing chain its better to just get another motor" they want him to buy the motor and then pay them 2 grand to swap it....

so ... thats the delima.... imwilling to come down and meet up with someone and go from there

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts
if he needs a motor and supplies the motor ill install it for a fair price. the truck would need to get towed to lansing though.

yota bill may be a good option as he is close and a great mechanic too. id imagine his price would be quite fair too.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
pm me some contact info and I'll check it out. If he just needs a timing chain, I dont see a need to replace the engine, sounds kinda silly to me...may be a day or two before I get in touch with him though, need to finish another job first

·
Registered
482 Posts
What is it doing? I have had a lot of experience with that 3.9L V6. My dad's truck would get a really bad misfire on one or more cylinders all the time and it was caused by the injectors going bad. We would replace the bad one and about a week later another injector would take a dump. It wasn't happy until all six injectors were replaced. We also had an issue with the cat failing all the time. The NVH on the exhaust was so terrible on the dakotas and would rattle the bricks loose inside the cat and lodge them in the pipe causing the engine to have no power. We replace the factory cat with another original equipment cat only to have it happen again about a year later. We then decided to put a stright pipe on and an o2 simulator to not get the check engine light for the cat being removed. I have a hard time beliving the engine is bad as my dad has over 300,000 miles on his Dakota.

Does it start? How does it run if it does start...any noises that are not normal?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i will get info on what it is doing.......he is driving it rite now but i know it has problems....i think that the garage that him and his grandma took it too saw a young kid and older lady and just thought they would make a mint......

i will be talking to him tomorrow

·
Dan
894 Posts
It best to just put another engine

You wouldn't believe when you remove valve cover it full of SLUDGE.

Chrysler have biggest issues with engine that get sludge no matter how you try.

Is there reason why timing chain must be replaced. My guess it got sludge and block oil passage to timing chain.

If truck in great shape and little rust then it good idea to rebuilt or get jasper engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts