Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
General Jeeper
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my first bumper this weekend. Tell me what you think.
I can't decide wether or not to grind the welds smooth.
Constructive Criticism appreciated

·
General Jeeper
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the only welder I have, and its not even mine. That is why I designed it so there are no structural welds.

·
Premium Member
3,279 Posts
This is the only welder I have, and its not even mine. That is why I designed it so there are no structural welds.
should work fine.. i would grind the welds to clean it up .. maybe leave the welds on the face for the drings.. depending on how they look ..

·
Remeber this?
768 Posts
Maybe put some gussets on the D-rings going back to the bumper and also onto your frame? Its your call. How big are the bolts you used to attach the bumper?

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the welds, all the stress is going to go through the bumper to the frame. That is how mine is done as well. As long as your bolts and frame is good, I'd say you're good to go. Looks nice.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the welds, all the stress is going to go through the bumper to the frame. That is how mine is done as well. As long as your bolts and frame is good, I'd say you're good to go. Looks nice.
X2...shit the bumper could be held on by JB Weld and it wouldn't matter unless you hit something. Pulling on it doesn't put any stress on any welds.

Damn good idea.

·
General Jeeper
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolts are 3/4" x 3.5 Grade 8, I would hope that they wouldn't fail. I think I will grind the face welds on the bumper. Thanks for the good advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts