Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,056 Posts
Damn that's crazy, Buddha must be watching over you.

·
Registered
236 Posts
wow, glad you found it in time. we just remodeled a house and was lucky that the previous owner updates 90% of the wiring and we did the rest.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Unless you are the type to stick pennies in the fuse box, it most likely would have been an annoying blown fuse every so often. The hazard would be if that wood surrounding it gets wet often (looks water stained) Dry wood won't conduct well, but wet wood will, and smolder.

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
Leave it alone and put wall back together, eventually it will get remodled by the INS company.

·
Life on a lazy river
137 Posts
ours looked similar--that wonderful KNOB AND TUBE crap..

Brother-in-law fixed it though---

Grabbed snippers and whacked all the wires hanging where a wall had been and said "ALL BETTER and SAFER.."" See you later...

:confused:

We learned REAL quick how to rewire the the entire house in a weekend

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unless you are the type to stick pennies in the fuse box, it most likely would have been an annoying blown fuse every so often. The hazard would be if that wood surrounding it gets wet often (looks water stained) Dry wood won't conduct well, but wet wood will, and smolder.
Do you see the casing on the wire on the far left? That is not plaster, that is smolder/charring.

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
One day when I was a kid the power in my bedroom went out. My dad started the remodel job and found two live wires like that just j hooked together and they have come un-done.

He had the same reaction as YOU!! :eek:

Nice catch! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts