Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up a couple years ago. It needed a bunch of work at the time. We put it in the water to make sure it didn't leak & then it got put on the back burner till this spring. Don't have pics of the work done but here's the list.
Built new rudder
Repaired structure problems with floor
Rebuilt 2 flip up seats & front hatch
Built new framework for front one flip up seat
Repaired upper rudder assembly
Added bilge pump & electric motor
Acid washed & waxed entire boat inside & out
Bleached all the wood & re varnished
Repaired 3 mouse holes in jib

Still needs some rigging upgrades, sail boot & jib roller plus lots of organization below.

These pics ar from last night on it's maiden voyage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Nice boat!

Sailboat > powerboat
x2. Especially those with autopilot so you can concentrate on drinking and playing air guitar.

Looks like there is plenty of cockpit space for a 21-footer. Is it an O'day?

How much do you have into it taking into account all of the repairs?

(I shouldn't ask that - if I have to ask, I can't afford it :rolleyes: )

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you'll notice, the wife's handling the tiller & yes, I really enjoyed my gatorade.:beerbang: We were going to break out the champaign but I wanted to make sure it didn't sink first.:sonicjay:

It's a San Juan 21 Mark I. Listed as a 21 but if I remember right the registration says something just under 20. It's supposed to sleep 4 with a V-berth up front and a single berth under each seat, although you'll never get me in one of them.:sonicjay:

I picked it up for $600 including the trailer. I've probably got close to that much more into it. Looking at them on line they seem to go for anywhere from $2500 to $8000 so I figure my sweat equity was well worth it.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I picture the back end of a ferrari sticking out the back of it like in the movie "One Crazy Summer".

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I picked it up for $600 including the trailer. I've probably got close to that much more into it. Looking at them on line they seem to go for anywhere from $2500 to $8000 so I figure my sweat equity was well worth it.
Wow man, that is a really nice looking boat for only that much into it. Well done.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
rag bagger.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
Nice boat. I got to sail last summer on a 38' Pearson. I was looking for an affordable one. Looks like you got a good deal. Sailing is fun yet peaceful.

I like the Hobie's also. Those can get flying.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really want a 16 or 18 hobie
I like the Hobie's also. Those can get flying.
I had a Hobie 16 for probably 8 years. They're a blast but no matter how you slice it you're gonna get wet. We want to be able to sail early spring and late fall in sweatshirt weather. Other problem with the Hobie is the wife didn't like the flips.:sonicjay: Hiking up & riding it is fun but if you've ever pitch poled one you will know what a hard hit is. For those that don't know, pitch poling is when you are hiked up on one pontoon & the nose digs in which in turn cartwheels you "instantly".:(

lol @ tags
:finger:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts