Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I have a 2001 f-150 crew cab lariat. it rides level with no load in the bed. I do not want her to squat when towing. it squats like 3"s or so towing my jeep on my 16' flat bed w/ 300-500lbs of shit in the bed.

could I get away with running a 1.5" AAL and then run an airbag to raise it up the extra 1.5" or is there a better way to handle this problem? I do not want the ass sticking more then 2"s about the front though.

thanks for the help,

Ty

5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont want air shocks.

my theory is that the shock mounting locations are probably not made to handle the full weight of a truck and tongue wieght on it. plus i just got brand new shocks.

5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
500 bucks blah.

plus I pull a boat that makes the ass end sag too. so WD hitch wouldnt work for that.

I guess I could do that if need be. but was trying to avoid it. thanks for the idea though.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
x2.

Best 500 bucks I ever spent.

I've towed my YJ on a 2000 pound trailer with ZERO squat in my 04 WJ
yep they're nice.. but i'd just move the jeep back on the trailer a little bit.. With my dodge i get about 1" of squat on the truck and its PERFECT

42,949 Posts
yep they're nice.. but i'd just move the jeep back on the trailer a little bit.. With my dodge i get about 1" of squat on the truck and its PERFECT
You ever look at the suspension on your trailer? If you're moving it to the back, you are putting all the weight on one axle, and you're making it into a very dangerous sway happy setup

5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You ever look at the suspension on your trailer? If you're moving it to the back, you are putting all the weight on one axle, and you're making it into a very dangerous sway happy setup
and your taking off tongue wieght.

the bitch starts to sag before I even hook up the trailer. just with the bed loaded for a week-two of being homeless wandering.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
quite eating so damn much and start running then your ass wont sag

·
FORD The Best Never Rest
2,521 Posts
Not enough tongue weight and you will hate how it pulls to say the least!

I use a weght distributing when i tow with my suburban. It's great, it will also control the rocking motion that is usually associated with towing a trailer.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
Nope, NEVER looked at it ! :miff: Service it twice a yr (bearings etc..) But i somehow never see that suspension.. I didnt say put it on the fucking beavertail.. But shit moving it back a couple inches usually makes a world of difference.. I often pull a combo of my S-10 and a quad on the trailer.. then a quad in the truck.. and it barely fits but its the perfect weight dist.

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
My vote is air assist bags. You can keep your stock height and fill em up when you're towing. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
If you have ever towed with a truck with and without airbags, you wouldn't question spending the $250 to get them. I have the Firestone Ride-Rites on my 3500. Absolutely the best money I have spent on that truck. Keep them at 5psi for daily driving, then add some air when you tow. Levels everything out and improves the ride incredibly.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts