Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to swap in a t-5 into my b2...

did they make hydraulic versions? I heard they had them 1993 on down in the foxbodies..?

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
1991 or 92 was the first years of the roller motors. I think 4K will get you one with 400 hp from Ford Motor Sports racing.
I'm running a similar motor in my Flareside.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
1985 and newer 5.0 HO's were all roller motors (85 was last year of carbs) but I think he's asking about the clutch mechanism. All FOX and SN95 cars had cables. There are nice after market kits that have billet bellcranks and firewall adjustable cables. Typically they'll last for a long time and can handle high rate pressure plates. I would definately prefer that style over a hydraulic setup.

·
Banned
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would rather prefer a hydraulic setup on mine because i already have the clutch master cylinder and line there...all i would need to do is adapt my line to the t-5 somehow. Does anyone kno how to convert a t-5 to a hydraulic setup? What slave cylinder works?

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
1985 and newer 5.0 HO's were all roller motors (85 was last year of carbs) but I think he's asking about the clutch mechanism. All FOX and SN95 cars had cables. There are nice after market kits that have billet bellcranks and firewall adjustable cables. Typically they'll last for a long time and can handle high rate pressure plates. I would definately prefer that style over a hydraulic setup.
This is probably true in the HO's in the Mustangs, but I know the truck 302's (5.0) did not go rollers until 91 or 92 when they went to multiport fuel injection.

·
Registered
347 Posts
A 1987 Ford F150 has an external slave cylinder to push on the clutch fork. I have/had one on my 4x4 that had a I6 and a 4sp. The bell housing is also removeable so if you find a 87 in a yard you can buy the bell and get the bracket that holds on the external slave.

in 1988 they went to an internal slave with the 5sp and that didnt have a removable bellhousing because it was made by mazda.

Be careful using the mustang T-5. The shifter is at the rear of the transmission. In a truck the shifter is in the middle of the transmission. Make sure you get your measurements right so you dont get surprised.

·
poser wheeler
78 Posts
A 1987 Ford F150 has an external slave cylinder to push on the clutch fork. I have/had one on my 4x4 that had a I6 and a 4sp. The bell housing is also removeable so if you find a 87 in a yard you can buy the bell and get the bracket that holds on the external slave.

in 1988 they went to an internal slave with the 5sp and that didnt have a removable bellhousing because it was made by mazda.
you have to be kinda carefull with that though, because there is no set year.. you could have a 5 speed in 87, and a 4 speed well into the 90's, other than that though, as you sad, 4 speeds have external slave, and 5 speeds internal slaves, unless they were behind a diesel or big block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts