Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do we have any 5.0 gurus on the site? I have a 5.0 in my YJ and i am having a hell of a time getting it running right since i rebuilt it. Let me know if you can help.

thanks,
Aaron

·
One shot, One Kill
462 Posts
I have an '88 GT. What year is your motor?? Speed density or Mass Air??

Check for vacume leaks if it does not idle correctly.

Speed density does not like cam changes from stock either, it is unable to adjust for the change in the air flow as it (the computer) has no way of knowing that it is different from stock.

Did you set your static timing with the "pill" removed??

That is just some starting points. BTM.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Do we have any 5.0 gurus on the site? I have a 5.0 in my YJ and i am having a hell of a time getting it running right since i rebuilt it. Let me know if you can help.

thanks,
Aaron
I know the problem ... Does your car have a blue oval on the front of it or on the steering wheel?

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
I know the problem ... Does your car have a blue oval on the front of it or on the steering wheel?

Since he said it was in his YJ, I would guess probably not. :poke: Nice try though :sonicjay:

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
If you don't transfer the Blue Oval with the motor, the motor wont run right....
I have a couple Blue ovals, that you can have but you have to place them visibly somewhere on your YJ:sonicjay:

302's are pretty simple, give us some more information on your problem, and we can better diagnose.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an '88 GT. What year is your motor?? Speed density or Mass Air??

Check for vacume leaks if it does not idle correctly.

Speed density does not like cam changes from stock either, it is unable to adjust for the change in the air flow as it (the computer) has no way of knowing that it is different from stock.

Did you set your static timing with the "pill" removed??

That is just some starting points. BTM.
i converted it to MAF becasue it wouldn't run right with the SD system. I have set the timing many many times with the spout connector in and out, but that doesn't seem to make the problem go away. It runs good out of the hole until about 3000rpm's then it starts bucking and spitting. of course, since it is a transplant, i have no way to pull codes from the ECM. just thought maybe someone around the Jackson area knew more about these beasts than i do. which wouldn't take much-LOL

·
Registered
997 Posts
You should be able to pull the codes still. Did you not transfer the diagnostic connector with the transplant?
You will have to hook up some kind of led to the check engine light wire to get it to flash to pull the codes. There are a couple wires that wire that diag port back to the puter.

Sounds like a timing problem

the attached doc gives a brief example of some of the wiring. I cant find the full wiring schem on my puter.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/EFI_harness.gif
http://fordfuelinjection.com/files/EFI_power_diagram.gif

Attachments

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
i converted it to MAF becasue it wouldn't run right with the SD system. I have set the timing many many times with the spout connector in and out, but that doesn't seem to make the problem go away. It runs good out of the hole until about 3000rpm's then it starts bucking and spitting. of course, since it is a transplant, i have no way to pull codes from the ECM. just thought maybe someone around the Jackson area knew more about these beasts than i do. which wouldn't take much-LOL
do you know the flying farmer?

·
I Drank WHAT!
709 Posts

thanks,
Aaron
I'm a Ford electronic fuel injection guru and then some.

Try checking the fuel pressure and volume test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts