Ivy drove a bit, but the badlands intimated her and she wanted to ride mostly. She did manage to talk me into trying a climb I had no right to be on, then ultimately ended our trip. See details below
Found out my fan relay setup was causing the fan to not run right, over heated it pretty bad and blew a hose. Ordered a new fan and relay.
Also broke a rear u joint, 1310 stuff, I have the stuff to upgrade to bigger parts, but repaired it with junk I had laying around to get it going again (cheap and easy.... Love it)
Also cut a tire on the first climb, too big to plug, ordered some cold vulcanizing compound, might get motivated to do that sometime. Probably have a picture someplace, but just imagine a 1.5" slice in a side wall.
The rig works good enough, but it could use some improvements. Once I get some other projects done (international build specifically) I want to replace the poly link ends on the front axle for some rod ends(looking for used parts if anyone has some) maybe stretch it a bit at the same time, and then do some cage work. I'd also like some quieter exhaust, but I gotta find someones leftovers for that too because I can't buy new.... That's against the rules.
Also, got to wheel with the old ranger, that was fun
Got some of the cold vulcanizing stuff, ground the hole out, cleaned it up and smooshed some of that stuff in it. I pushed it through the into tire and smoothed it out on the inside.... One big patch. It cost $130, and I can easily do 10 tires with the same damage... If it works it's well worth it.
Just waiting for it to cure so I can smooth it out, and hopefully it looks OK.
I tried it. Thought it was good shit till I scrubbed it against a wall while in Utah and ripped it right out of the tire. Not for me anymore. I won’t risk fucking up a vacation for the $70 it costs to do it right.
Hopefully this works, would be nice if I can use it more than once to help offset the cost. The tire is still in the basement curing, yesterday afternoon it was still kinda soft.
Hopefully one day I'll decide to spend some money on it and get some better wheels and tires
One thing I'm trying to Invent is a lower balljoint eliminator, the design on these dodge axles don't really support off road use. The upper balljoint slides vertically and only supports rotational movement, kinda like a king pin, then the lower holds all the weight when the tire is in the air.
Thinking a threaded insert welded into the c, a bushing in the knuckle with a shoulder bolt to hold it together... Just not sure a bushing will allow the easy movement of the knuckle with the weight on it. Might need a bearing instead