Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new sbc 383 stoker motor with about 100 miles. Yesterday at the mounds I got mud in my motor. I went into a puddle and it it stalled in the middle of it. I pulled the spark plugs a couple had water droplets, one had mud on it. Starter wouldn't turn over the motor so I had to turn it over by hand from the flywheel. When I did, thick mud came out one of the spark plug holes. Checking the oil from the dipstick, it look fine. The air cleaner inside was dry and inside the carb I seen no muddy water. My exaust was submerged and thats where I think it came in at. What do I do now to clean it out and doesn anyone think it will have to be remachined, of so what, just the cylinder walls? Any advice will be appreciated.

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
Could very easily have bent the rods as well :(

How I would do it:
- Pull all the plugs
- Change oil
- Crank over without plugs in it (maybe spray PB blaster in plug holes first)
- Crank until no more anything was coming out of plug holes
- Put plugs back in
- Fire it up and pray
- If good change oil again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Do you think I should tear the motor apart and clean it with mineral spirt? Wont turning it over anymore scratch the cylinderwalls with the sand and grit in the mud? I've never taken apart the bottom half of a motor, only the cylinder heads. I have no problem doing the work though and learning. I just don't want to cause anymore damage.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know anything about mudding coming in through the exhaust? Someone told me it could have got sucked it when I let off the gas in the bog. Any opinion on that? How did you get mud or water into your motor?

·
Live Action!
15,748 Posts
There is a thread on Pirate4x4.com regarding this same issue but I think he got mud in the lower end somehow.

Seems strange to me but there might be some good info in that thread to help you out.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,494 Posts
Any damage is already done. You have 2 choices, do what Beefy suggests and pray or spend a whole bunch of money and time to be sure.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Do you know anything about mudding coming in through the exhaust? Someone told me it could have got sucked it when I let off the gas in the bog. Any opinion on that? How did you get mud or water into your motor?
Yes, with the right variables you very easily could have sucked mud up into the motor through the exhaust. It is called reversion. It's a concern for boat guys at idle and coming off plane with the right circumstances (I'm no engine builder but i believe it has to do with the camshaft and creating vacuum on the exhaust side of things etc. etc.)

Here is an article that should give you an idea of what causes it. http://www.performanceboats.com/content/378-water-reversion-review.html

If you have a fair amount of money in the motor I would stop turning it anywhere and take it apart and clean it and see what can be salvaged before doing any more damage. It's likely somewhat fawked, but if you have the time and the know how I'd take it apart and see before taking any more gambles.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Could very easily have bent the rods as well :(

How I would do it:
- Pull all the plugs
- Change oil
- Crank over without plugs in it (maybe spray PB blaster in plug holes first)
- Crank until no more anything was coming out of plug holes
- Put plugs back in
- Fire it up and pray
- If good change oil again.
This is how I would do it IF you had said, my motor had water in it.

How I would do it:
Take off intake and heads, inspect.
Drop oil pan, inspect.

Determine damage and go from there.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,137 Posts
Yes, with the right variables you very easily could have sucked mud up into the motor through the exhaust. It is called reversion. It's a concern for boat guys at idle and coming off plane with the right circumstances (I'm no engine builder but i believe it has to do with the camshaft and creating vacuum on the exhaust side of things etc. etc.)

Here is an article that should give you an idea of what causes it. http://www.performanceboats.com/content/378-water-reversion-review.html

If you have a fair amount of money in the motor I would stop turning it anywhere and take it apart and clean it and see what can be salvaged before doing any more damage. It's likely somewhat fawked, but if you have the time and the know how I'd take it apart and see before taking any more gambles.
Do you ever have this issue with your mountain bikes? Accidentally suck some mud up where it shouldn't be :finger:

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Do you ever have this issue with your mountain bikes? Accidentally suck some mud up where it shouldn't be :finger:
Because that is relevant how? :confused:

I never personally had a problem with reversion, because I never tried stuffing a car motor into my boat, I used a boat motor. :finger:

·
i make everything
370 Posts
Take your engine apart. Grit is grinding into paste that will eat your bearings, Cam , etc. That is not a guess, it is science. Your call, your engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts