Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2701 - 2720 of 2734 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,991 Posts
Needs more axle shafts :teehee: looking awesome Kyle! Can't wait to get it out to the desert again :woot:

P.S. test run is the shootout

What shafts did you go with?

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Just waiting for shafts and the replacement knuckles.

We are using nutless ball joints eliminators, the old knuckles had the the nut style eliminators welded in them. We can't run the nut style eliminators with the big bell, that's why we are changing, and rather than cutting em out we horse traded for another set of knuckles I did highsteer on.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Got the new ball joint eliminators installed along with some new lower ball joints, then tossed it back together so I can move it while I wait for the RCV's.

BTW, looks like the toe is pretty close without adjusting .... Guess I can read a tape measure pretty good.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
We got shaftized

Big bell RCV, 40 spline shafts. Fer's are huge, had to grind out the inner lip on the knuckles to fit them through, then cut off the excess ball joint studs and shortened the eliminator bolt so the boots didn't come in contact with anything.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
It's definitely a whopper! Couple of issues getting the shafts, but all in all, they are pretty awesome.

Took the buggy for a rip around the neighborhood, she's a ripper. Good enough for the shootout! Patted it's ass and sent it packing... KOH bound

Good luck beefy!

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from Beefy's rig here, it's awesome and so is the fab work. But am I missing something here? What's the benefit of the huge 40 spline shafts when the stub alone has 3 different spots significantly smaller than the minor diameter of the spines? It looks like they have smooth machining and generous fillets for minimized stress risers, but those spots are still going to be weaker than the big splines.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,113 Posts
Not trying to take anything away from Beefy's rig here, it's awesome and so is the fab work. But am I missing something here? What's the benefit of the huge 40 spline shafts when the stub alone has 3 different spots significantly smaller than the minor diameter of the spines? It looks like they have smooth machining and generous fillets for minimized stress risers, but those spots are still going to be weaker than the big splines.
Oh stop being an engineer. :teehee: They look all to be just below the root diameter. I've seen people say that a relief at the end of a spline is stronger than allowing a spline to runout into the major diameter. Not sure I understand why but that's what they say. Just like guys saying the shaft size should be smaller than the spline. Again, I'm not sure I understand why.

Don't worry, @Mr. Beefy already has another set being made. He's not too confident. :naughty:

·
BFT!
11,171 Posts
I have no idea. Rcv kinda screwed up my shafts, they put the seal surfaces in the wrong places so Kyle wrapped electrical tape around them for the koh trip. As far as the difference in diameter, I have not seen them not installed in the car yet. I assume the stubs are still larger diameter than the inner shafts. The main idea with the large stubs is to eliminate the need for a drive flange. One less point of failure, which oddly enough failed on me this fall.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2701 - 2720 of 2734 Posts