Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2681 - 2700 of 2734 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I was thinking someplace around 6° and 7°, that sound reasonable?
How important do you think caster is in something like this? Off road only vehicle with full hydro steering. Decided for sake of cost and speed to not mess with the knuckles on my buggy. I'm at zero or maybe a degree or two of positive (rear lean) caster.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
From what I understand more caster (to a point) helps traction while cornering and keeping the vehicle going in a straight line and not wandering. The down side is that more caster means it takes more force to turn the wheels, but with full hydro who cares. I set my 609 up with about 8 degrees of caster and so far am very happy with it, but dont have more than one summer's worth of seat time in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
How fast does beefy wheel?

I'd understand 6-7 in a baja rig. I had 6-7 in herman (xj) and it was almost too much but man it was nice going down the highway. higher caster results in worse steering at slow speeds as well.

I'd start more towards 3-4, assuming the fastest he'll be sustaining is a hill-n-hole or a bounty run. That should be managable at the dunes and on road without much hunting.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
How fast does beefy wheel?

I'd understand 6-7 in a baja rig. I had 6-7 in herman (xj) and it was almost too much but man it was nice going down the highway. higher caster results in worse steering at slow speeds as well.

I'd start more towards 3-4, assuming the fastest he'll be sustaining is a hill-n-hole or a bounty run. That should be managable at the dunes and on road without much hunting.
What do you mean by worse steering? The only steering complaint I have with my 8 degrees of caster is related to the full hydro and no feedback from a mechanical link. I daily drove my jeep for 10 days this summer and almost grew to prefer the steering in my jeep over my truck around town.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
I'm up around 7-8° on my 1 ton TJ. Started off lower and kicked it up a bit with zero complaints. Traditional steering with hydro assist. As long as you've got the steering power, more caster is typically better all around.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Idk, the high steer fits best at 6 or 7 so that's what he's getting, lol

Not really sure the benefits more or less would give. iirc, factory is about 4, and with the tire size your supposed to add a few degrees to help the steering return to center on the road. With that in mind, the racing aspect of his rig, the return to center may be nice if that principle acts the same with full Hydro.

·
BFT!
11,171 Posts
He calls it a #racecar but I never had an issue beating him in low range. :sonicjay:

:finger:

Set it at 6-7 and forget aboot it.
I didn't realize they had internet at your retirement home.

That housing is looking great Kyle :rock: I'll do my best to show it off at the shootout :naughty:

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Got the axle put back in position, up to full bump and figured out the new truss, link mounts and pinion angle. Once I knew that, I made new lower shock mounts to work with the new lower link mounts.

Next, I started putting together the new front driveshaft setup. We went with a wideopen design 1410 carrier bearing and their 1410 front shaft kit. The carrier bearing design is nice, just fitting it in this chassis isn't the easiest. I made a new mount to get the carrier bearing in and then built the shafts. The center is shaft is 3", 120 wall and the axle side driveshaft is 2.5" 1/4 wall. Old stuff was 2" both sides so it was a fight to get it all fitting. I had to clear the skid plate but I got it to cycle without issue.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Next I got the ram back as close to the original location and started building the front truss. I bent up some 1 3/4, 3/16 wall dom and fit it on the axle. Next I cut up some 1/4" plate to fill in the truss and give me a spot to mount the ram. Everything seems to fit well, cover comes off and the gears still come out.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
Got the truss braced and finished. I added some cross supports under the bump stops and under the link mounts. I also ran some cross tubes front to back to tie the truss together and give me a spot to pass steering hoses.

Spent a few hours welding it it, trying to keep it cool and move around.

Got the gears finish set, everything painted, just need to finish the steering and it's ready to rip.

2681 - 2700 of 2734 Posts