Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 XJ AW4 NP242 140,000 miles

Was at the mounds today and played all day long with no problems. As i left the park ti started making some goofy noises, squealing. went to the car wash hosed every thing down, was running hot because of all the mud in the radiator.

To sum it up its leaking from either the front of the pan or bell housing only leaking while under power, It burned the fluid. and shakes a bit now under hard acceleration and doesn't seem quite right.

Any ideas before i buy up a tranny off here or pull it out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
99 XJ AW4 NP242 140,000 miles

Was at the mounds today and played all day long with no problems. As i left the park ti started making some goofy noises, squealing. went to the car wash hosed every thing down, was running hot because of all the mud in the radiator.

To sum it up its leaking from either the front of the pan or bell housing only leaking while under power, It burned the fluid. and shakes a bit now under hard acceleration and doesn't seem quite right.

Any ideas before i buy up a tranny off here or pull it out.

the AW4's absolutely hate heat. even more than most other trannys it seems. your sig line says 99XJ with 33's. what gears are you running??? i burned my tranny up on 31's with 3.55's.

try to drain/refill as much as you can and do it a couple times and pray. but either way whether it's toast or not, you should seriously invest in a tranny temp gauge. personally choose to go with 2 temp sensors. 1 on the outgoing hot line, and 1 on the cooled return line. man those temps get scarry pretty fast if everything is up to part and working.

PS: keep and eye on your tranny lines right be the controll arm next to the tranny pan. i can actually flex so hard that my control arms will crimp the tranny lines against the oil pan and almost close them off.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i was going to put a temp guage in but never got around to it. And yes i'm still running 3.55's was going to order new ones today.

And pp i may get you a deposit on the tranny, i'm running mine to the shop today

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
And pp i may get you a deposit on the tranny, i'm running mine to the shop today
That motor is supposed to come out this week also, so that would make things more convienient.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Well i was going to put a temp guage in but never got around to it.
LOL that's exactly what i kept saying until i toasted my tranny. i've never seen fluid so black. not engine oil, not diesel and not even 20 year old burned gear oil. my tranny fluid was about as black as black can be. and when it finally stopped draining and i could see my drain bucket again, the entire bottom and sides of the drain bucket were covered in gold dust. man i just wish it would have been real gold. i would have been rich.

needless to say, i had the new tranny temp gauge in before i even got the new tranny in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.