Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 chevy half ton pick up that had a 355 motor from a 79 truck that was bad so I am puting a 350 from a candian 3/4 ton chevy truck. but the motor mount holes are about an inch off on where the holes line up on the brackes on the frame rails. So where is my problem at. I also replaced the motor mounts with new ones. any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
315 Posts
So the bracket off the motor doesn't line up with the bracket on the frame? Is the motors brackets holes farther apart then the frames bracket? If there the same could you just push the motor forwards a little?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so it has to be one of three things ,
The mounting position on the block
The brackets between the block and the motor mount
The brackets on the frame
Which one do I replce next?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,448 Posts
sbc mounts are all the same for the most part. the ones that would mess you up are V6 mounts. they are offset. if the mounts aren't semitrical from one side to the other you may have the wrong mounts. V6 mounts are offset so the bolt patteren is not in the middle of the mount on the block side.

·
14,448 Posts
as a suggestion measure the holes on the engine side ,then move the frame side mounts to match the holes. should be easy enough?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how am I suposeed to adjust the mounts on the frame when the brackets are bolted to it with no way to adust them. I would have to move them horizonitaly and if I were to drill new holes they would be too close to the old ones and I would end up with a big slot.

·
14,448 Posts
two wheel drive shouldn't make a diff. did you happen to notice if there was shims behind the mounts on the block side? 4x4 models have 3/16" thick plates with drop tails to struts that support the trans at the lower cover on the converter. if the plates are swapped around it could shim out the mounts to far. unbolt the ones from the block and see if you have them flipped. if I remember right theres a "Bump" on them that can mess you up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found a set of brackets off of a 4wd 350 and the holes for the motor mount bolts do not extend out as far as the ones off the 2wd 3/4 ton. I put the new ones on and everything droped rightg into place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.