Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lil JKU on 40's
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just another problem that has popped up with the good ole ZJ,
when left at idle it will occasionally die out and then not want to start back up...
it usually does after i crank it for some time but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas...
cause i am fresh out of ideas....

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
if you can do an amp load on the fuel pump I would be willing to bet its over amping and dieing out. they pull around 6.5 to 7.5 amps when running right. if its going over it could be over heating the relay or the pump.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
had that prob on my '94 ZJ with the 4.0 ended up being a crack in the vac. linr going to the map sencor once I fixed it no more prob..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
does it have a mass airflow sensor??? i've had a few vehicles with failing MAF sensors act like that. they were a pain to diagnose to. i had one where me and a friend were staring at the scanner for about an hour before we caught it. it only fluctuated enough to cause the engine to stall, but not enough to set a code. on the scan tool the reading was only off by a bit, and only intermittently.

a little tip to look for any vacuum leaks. make sure the engine, exhaust is cold. then start it up, and start spraying along all the vacuum lines and fittings with brake cleaner. if there is a crack anywhere it will suck it in and and the engine will run differently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts