Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summits got them for under 200 for a 14 bolt. Any good? I have a gov lock that needs to go. Trying to find the least costly way to do so

·
I'd hit that
1,765 Posts
I would recommend picking up another axle, you should be able to find one for 200 or less and have another complete axle for parts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shopped for one, it's just that I'll end up with a unknown part that will still need some money spent on it. I still want to put a detroit in whatever axle I get.

·
I'd hit that
1,765 Posts
I cant forsee you needing to spend any money on a carrier from a used axle.

There is nothing to go wrong with them. You may need to put some new bearings on it.

I just mentioned that because you could pick up a whole axle for the price of just buying a new carrier. Do some research on which carrier you need for you gear ratio, and take a look at the axle before you buy it...

If it was me, id buy a whole nother' axle or look for someone with a carrier laying around

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant that I'd end up spending money on a new used axle. All I relly was looking for was input on motive gears quality or lack there of. But I appreciate the input nonetheless

·
I'd hit that
1,765 Posts
I was not suggesting using the "new" used axle. Pull the carrier and scrap the rest, or keep parts for spares... You would have less into a carrier than buying the new questionable quality one. (I do not think you'd have any problems with the motive gear carrier however.) I was addressing the last part of your post the least costly way to do the swap..

14 bolt carrier , axle shafts - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Look at the second post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts