Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time has come to update our service panel. Instead of paying someone $1300 to do it I am first attempting it myself. Couple questions I can't find the answers to yet...

1) Do I need to pull a permit to do the work? ( I know just ask the city, but I don't feel like calling them)

2) Can I run the Stove and AC and everything in 1 panel, or does the Stove/ AC need to be on a sub panel?

Thanks!

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
In my city you need to pull a permit to wipe your butt...

You can run everything off of one panel if it is the correct size. That includes being fed by the correct size wire from the meter box.

Your AC may already have it's own box, but that needs to be fed from your main panel.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dont die, dude!
no worries there. After watching a gazillion people kill power to the house from the meter over the last few weeks I am quite confident I can do it as well.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your AC may already have it's own box, but that needs to be fed from your main panel.

Thanks for the reply. AC and Stove currently are on their own panel. I currently have 5 seperate panels/ fuse boxes/ switches and 3 lines running from the meter to the house. I need/ want to have only 1 line from the meter and 1 nice, clean looking breaker panel.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
your supposed to get a permit :stan3:

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your supposed to get a permit :stan3:
Yep, I just found that out from the city website. No problems there, going to do the job right.

well id recommend testing before you get into it :tonka:

I will absolutely make sure the house is dead before any of this work happens.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Thanks for the reply. AC and Stove currently are on their own panel. I currently have 5 seperate panels/ fuse boxes/ switches and 3 lines running from the meter to the house. I need/ want to have only 1 line from the meter and 1 nice, clean looking breaker panel.
You can consolidate them all into one panel. The AC compressor should have it's own cut off switch near the unit outside, you feed that from the panel. The stove can run straight off of the new panel.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
If you are doing the work, add a 2nd meter and run the A/C from that to get the cheaper rate from the utility company...

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
every municipal is different, if you are only changing the panel, not service entrance wire or adding circuits. you shouldn't need a permit, on the other hand, who will know anyways. you do not need a seperate sub-panel for 220v appliances as long as the primary panel is rated for the amp draw needed.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
???
please elaborate
Many places you can run the air conditioner off a second meter. If demand is too high, they can kill those services to reduce the load on the system without killing your main service.

http://my.dteenergy.com/products/residential/airConditioning.html

Residential Interruptible Air Conditioning Rate

Our Interruptible Air Conditioning Program could save you up to 20% off your basic service rate. To take advantage of this special rate, your central air conditioner or heat pump is wired to a separate meter and radio control unit.

By allowing us to briefly cycle your service by remote control on very hot days or when there is a high demand for electricity, you save over the basic residential rate. The cycles are limited to 15 minutes maximum at a time followed by at least 15 minutes of operation and limited to no more than eight hours in a 24-hour period so they should not noticeably affect the temperature inside your home.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:stan: WTF is all that about?

Many places you can run the air conditioner off a second meter. If demand is too high, they can kill those services to reduce the load on the system without killing your main service.

http://my.dteenergy.com/products/residential/airConditioning.html

Residential Interruptible Air Conditioning Rate

Our Interruptible Air Conditioning Program could save you up to 20% off your basic service rate. To take advantage of this special rate, your central air conditioner or heat pump is wired to a separate meter and radio control unit.

By allowing us to briefly cycle your service by remote control on very hot days or when there is a high demand for electricity, you save over the basic residential rate. The cycles are limited to 15 minutes maximum at a time followed by at least 15 minutes of operation and limited to no more than eight hours in a 24-hour period so they should not noticeably affect the temperature inside your home.
definitely not running interruptible. I like my comfort too much.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
every municipal is different, if you are only changing the panel, not service entrance wire or adding circuits. you shouldn't need a permit, on the other hand, who will know anyways. you do not need a seperate sub-panel for 220v appliances as long as the primary panel is rated for the amp draw needed.

perfect. Thank you :thumb:

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
If you are doing the work, add a 2nd meter and run the A/C from that to get the cheaper rate from the utility company...

X3475439785

Great idea, I had it as soon as I read this post. It's cheaper power. It will pay for itself in the long run. It might seem like a PITA right now, but it will pay off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts