Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to weld some stainless to repair a friends boat lift. There is enough welding to be done that I don't want to bother someone with a TIG, and I don't own one. Before Google tells me what to do, I will ask you guys.
Is 80/20 shielding gas ok? Similar diameter wire to what I would use for mild steel? Same tips? Any precautions? This will be a structural part- any thoughts on imbrittlement? 3/16" plate to 3/16" 2x3 box tube. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
I'm not an expert, however I know you need to use a different shielding gas. We just went through this a month ago. For the life of me I can't remember what it was that we bought though. Outside of that and obviously wire we didn't change anything and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I don't know much about welding SS, but I've done a little research into it for welding on my brewing shit and Argon was what everyone talked about using.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've always used the same gas for steel or stainless. Works the same. Had the welds certified too. I use 95% argon 5% oxygen.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Should be nothing to worry about. I would think your 80/20 mix would be fine too. Try it, as long as you don't get porosity you should be good to go.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
In non cosmetic projects, I've just used er70s-6 mild steel wire with regular shielding gas. I'm not sure if this would meet your needs in a marine application but it will permanently attach two pieces of stainless together. If I want pretty welds I Always TIG. I've used shielded stainless wire before with pretty good results but I think you have to use a different polarity than mild wire. It's been a while I'm not sure.

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
Not to sound like a retard, but are you sure it's stainless and not aluminum? I've moved and set up tons of hoists around the lake my parents live on and never ran across one that had stainless on it other than the cables.

·
NO RELIGION WAT!
28,165 Posts
Not to sound like a retard, but are you sure it's stainless and not aluminum? I've moved and set up tons of hoists around the lake my parents live on and never ran across one that had stainless on it other than the cables.
X2. Check the metal using an aluminum magnet.

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
X2. Check the metal using an aluminum magnet.
Use cation, the 17 I've I've purchased so far do not work. Maybe the eighteenth one I bought from ebay will work. Caution: All the ones I've use so far must be used with a left hand adjustable wrench.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
Use cation, the 17 I've I've purchased so far do not work. Maybe the eighteenth one I bought from ebay will work. Caution: All the ones I've use so far must be used with a left hand adjustable wrench.
Are you sure you didn't get a copper magnet? They look very similar.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Replacing aluminum parts with stainless, but thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Helium or tri mix works best. Argon will work well too. Judging what it is for, argon is probably the best bet, since your color is most likely going to be pretty faded.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts