Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Im Rick James Bitch
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welllllll, Welllllllllll, Wellllllllllllllllll, I see michigan average unemployment hit 15% today. Thanks Granmole. Thats all.

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
at least the extension was finally approved.... should be already signed by NObama.

wish there more jobs so the people wouldn't need the extension, but also dont want to see families starve... so

·
BigBrutus
118 Posts
collecting unemplyment is fine for a while but as long as you can go I think is rediculous. if it takes you a year an a half to find a job, you aint lookin very hard. And yes I have been laid off before and found a job no problem so they are out there, you just have to look.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
15% is bogus im unemployed and they wouldent give it to me 3 days away from enough time on the job

·
BigBrutus
118 Posts
I think 15% sucks too but there are a lot of people out there taking advantage of it. I'm not saying that you are but some people use unemplyment for the wrong reason.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
yep granholm is the issue every other state has zero unemployment except michigan... must be her couldn't have anything to do with the auto industry being the back bone of MI could it? couldn't be the whole country is in a shit hole mess could it? grow up and stop blaming ONE person for the ENTIRE problem

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
Where do I sign up?

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
yep granholm is the issue every other state has zero unemployment except michigan... must be her couldn't have anything to do with the auto industry being the back bone of MI could it? couldn't be the whole country is in a shit hole mess could it? grow up and stop blaming ONE person for the ENTIRE problem
tender vagina much?

·
2,397 Posts
In actuality the unemployment rate is much higher. Supposedly, somewhere in the 30-40% area. The rate doesn't count seasonal, temps, part timers, "self employed", or the hundreds of thousands who either aren't collecting unemployment or have already exhausted their benefits...

·
Am i still a Noob?
578 Posts
shes the governwhore so she gets the blame, she was voted in to deal with michigans economy AND SHES DOING A SHIT JOB of it (My .02 cents) michigan is a large state with many resources, theres has to be something we can build and sell here.... besides dumping Canadian trash in our landfills, buttsex, prostitution, more buttsex, and dont foreget scootersex (buttsex)

·
2,397 Posts
Ummm, wow.

Anyway, yes the whole country is in trouble. Michigan is not the only one. However, several things.

1) I do know some people that have actively looked for jobs for very long periods of time, and some with no results.

2) granholm is a big problem and even moreso, she hinders business and jobs in this state instead of trying to help and grow.

3) unemployment us there for a reason. It is paid into by both the employee, and the employer. And don't think it isn't at some level accounted for by large corporations when budgeting and paying salaries.

4) that unemployment that people are getting is one of the only things fueling what hurt economy we have left. It is that money buying groceries, services, keeping small businesses alive, and the only money that is allowing so many people to continue paying the mortgages of the houses whose values have tanked and keeping the foreclosure rate from getting even worse.

I could keep going but I think I have made my point.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Try to read all the posts before you click submit. There were TWO people blamed. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
California isn't much better. I've been trying to get jobs in just about anything besides Mickey D's, I must have sent 50 or so resumes and apps and have basically just quit looking besides one job I might have seasonal at a hobby store.
Craigslist is filled with sales jobs, helping Greenpeace and Global Warming and saving the whales/nonprofit stuff, or really specific things like underwater basket weaving topless clog dancers. Seems like you need real talent or a buttload of experience just to get even entry level jobs, as the economy has trickled down. Higher ups take the lower jobs, lower guys take the entry levels, and then there's someone like me with just schooling.
Right now I am fixing up my mom's houses and all of her crap as well as moving her from one house to the next, so I don't feel like a total deadbeat.

·
sɐƃǝʌ sɐן
8,589 Posts
15% is their Number not a True Number if they really posted the True # it would be more like 1/2 the state.

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Couldn't find a Job in MI, so i left.

I think this is going to lead to a brain drain in Michigan, the majority of their younger, well educated people are leaving. Not saying i'm a genius, just pointing out that most people that have been graduating from 4yr schools are leaving the state.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I don't know how old you are but - I'm just about to rack up another year here - in the over 50 group.
This might sound funny, but, my first job back in 1975 paid $1/hour. That was minimum wage. It went up to $2 real fast. I worked in a non-union grocery store and it only took 2.5 years to get to $4.50/hour. The union A & P around the corner was the reason for that.
So, when wages go up, what happens? We started staying open longer and later - store prices starting going up so that we could support the extra hours, overhead and blah blah blah so that we could meet the needs of the public. What were those needs? A grocery store that was open 7 days/week and until midnight Mon-Sat.

Ya don't think that the "needs" of the American population didn't have anything to do with it. We keep wanting more, charging more, needing more. What happens? We need more $. Where does that come from? Our employers. How do they get it? Raise their prices.

Bread did cost .10/loaf back in '75. It went through my check-out line when I started.

Think about it - it's not only the government's fault. I took econ 3 times - hated that class. Most of what I've learned is through simple observation over my almost 52 years.

I lost my job back in the 1982 recession, so did my then-husband. Three weeks apart.

Right now I'm barely hanging in there at my job. Our company might just have to close for the month of December. My husband's company (he's 50% owner) has 1 active customer so he and his partner are collecting unemployment just so we can all pay our mortgages. I took a pay cut then an hour cut and, after taxes make less than I did in the 1999.

Sorry it's long. Every now and then I have something to say. :usa:

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,803 Posts
Couldn't find a Job in MI, so i left.

I think this is going to lead to a brain drain in Michigan, the majority of their younger, well educated people are leaving. Not saying i'm a genius, just pointing out that most people that have been graduating from 4yr schools are leaving the state.
Same here. I couldn't find a job in MI so I left. I moved to the land of cows and corn, and even a year after the recession my company is still hiring.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Same here. I couldn't find a job in MI so I left. I moved to the land of cows and corn, and even a year after the recession my company is still hiring.
I have 2 degrees and 2 1/2 finished certificates but I'm not giving up yet.
My education covers business, arts, AutoCAD and electrical engineering.
I've actually only been laid off twice. The first time I was employed the next day by one of my own customers and the 2nd time by the same company that let me go only at a new location after a co-worker screwed up royally and they needed someone there the same day.
Right now, I'm one of the "underemployed". Still working but at a much lower rate of pay that what I had previously - had to take a $2.50/hour cut and a 10 hr/wk cut a few months later.
Our company is moving towards a new line of work but keeping our foot in the door with the old and adding a whole new division in the world of neural networking.
It's what you gotta do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts