1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
sie sehen mich rollin ...
3,316 Posts
heard of people doing it......yes boats are 12volt.

just remember most marine stuff is only splash proof....not water proof, so if u are planning on submerging it, either buy a cheapy or buy one that can be removed easily before u head out. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I bought some cheap speakers from walmart (i think...maybe K-mart). Either way, I didnt realize it at the time but they were 'water resistant' speakers, but not branded that way( think tiny print on the back of the box).

When I broke through some ice winter wheeling and had water up to my seats and they were completely submerged for about 15 minutes. To this day they work perfectly and I have no complaints. (except that they were cheap speakers to begin with)

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
the problem is on tj's the water runs down the dash into the back of the radio causing failure but yes marine radio could help I'd just get one of those splash covers that they sell along with a cheepie radio like the one you posted. I have neither and just buy a new radio every 2 years (they are outdated anyway)

·
Its tough out there.
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd just get one of those splash covers that they sell along with a cheepie radio like the one you posted.
are those splash gaurds for the back of the radio or the front?

·
Jeeper
412 Posts
I went to a boat supply store and opened their marine grade recievers. On these there is a plastic coating around the metal reciever that makes it splash proof, not submirsable. I then bought a cheap reciever and wraped it in clear packaging tape and have not had any problems with it yet. Many audio files will tell you not to do this because it won't be able to disapate enough heat and overheat, however most electronics are thermally protected and will shutdown before it damages itself.

I powerwash my interior occasionaly too. Just remember to allow for plenty of drying time before you attempt to use it, and no matter what you do it will never be totally water proof.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts