Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this morning i went to the carwash and before i washed the jeep, i poured seafoam into the intake.

I was driving home and the jeep started sputtering and stalling and telling me that the oil pump is dead. I took it in and had the codes checked and im told its the map sensor.

then again i also washed the engine at the same time and maybe shorted it out? but why did it not sputter till i was driving home. check engine light didnt come on till later either

I dont know much about the map sensor and what it does but can i get away with driving 5 hours without one?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i washed my 88 mazda 323's engine bay once, and it did a similar thing. it's too old to have codes and that stuff, but ran fine @ idle like your jeep. when i started to drive though, it bogged down horribly. i just set a box fan over the engine bay for a day or so, and it dried it out/ran fine after.

as for the driving, i couldn't get any rpm's and could only go about 45 or so in 5th gear, but like i said, i don't have all of those fancy sensors

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Seafoam didn't even come in contact with the MAP....so it was prolly the washing, but if that did it then you needed a new one anyway. You wouldn't want something that can't get wet on a wheelin rig.

And, sometimes it will run with a bad MAP but just run shitty and use lots of fuel and carb up everything. I wouldn't take it on a 5 hour trip with a bad one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just spray all your connections with WD-40 or some other moister displaceing spray let sit for a little bit and should be fine. and don't be chinsey on the spray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts