Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1501 - 1520 of 1548 Posts

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,502
A trip or two ago I added some rear storage. I couldn't put it where it's designed to go because of where I installed my battery. But close, I can't fully open the drawer because if my tailgate unless I uncable it. But with the tailgate up I can open it enough to reach everything in it anyway.

I had to replace the sliders, and add extra latches. I do plan to pull the drawer back out and put some uhmw underneath to help support the weight of the drawer in the center to hopefully jeep the slides to last.

So far it's lasted through loonie and badlands. It is also nice that it clears my tonneau cover.

Attachments

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Funny you mention this. I have a drawer mechanism that I pulled out yesterday. I’ve determined that I carry too much stuff. I’m going back to modular boxes with only necessities and the stuff I never use but want to have nearby will go in a tub in the tow rig.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,504
Yeah, I mostly just keep a spare quart of various fluids, tire repair, recovery, first aid stuff, couple various tools, a lockout. in the drawer. The tailgate has spare full hyd stuff in it. I don't really pack anything else in or around the drawer other then boots and coats etc.

I've been packing less and less stuff as time goes by.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
For the past few years I went the other way. If I thought it might be useful and I had room I packed it. But every time I empty the Jeep it raises in the back about 4”. That tells me that it does make a difference in my suspension. I still struggle with what to carry. The issue is 75% of the time it gets used for someone else. But the down side is the hassle on the trail if no one has the right tool but I’m not gonna worry about it any more.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,506
Yeah I used to pack everything and anything I could think would be useful to myself or anybody else. But every trip I unpack and realize nothing was used. Tow rig gets everything and anything packed in it.

·
MetroFab Customs
6,283 Posts
My vote is keep it light, pack the spares in the tow rig, bring only basics. It's nice to have everything, but it sucks to have to dig it out for everyone all the time. Tow rigs are never far away.

I need to look into getting something more convenient for storage or I'm just ditching my hatch for a tailgate or something.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,510
I've packed alot of stuff on the LJ adventures, cause at times the towrigs could be hundred of miles away, as well camping over night so had to have that as well.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
My vote is keep it light, pack the spares in the tow rig, bring only basics. It's nice to have everything, but it sucks to have to dig it out for everyone all the time. Tow rigs are never far away.

I need to look into getting something more convenient for storage or I'm just ditching my hatch for a tailgate or something.
This is true for places like Curly's or the Badlands. Out west is another story. Moab, South Dakota, and especially Johnson Valley, it may take 2-3 hours round trip just to get a tool or part.

Since I had the room, I figured what the heck, may as well bring it along. And I've had the weight discussion more than once that 50 pounds one way or another won't affect performance. Does anyone really notice a difference between 1/2 and full tank of gas? For me, it's just trying to get away from having so much shit to pack in. It's gotten to where my storage box has to be packed perfect or things won't fit. On the other hand, that can be a good thing because nothing has room to bounce around.

I just picked up a new plastic box at TSC today. We will see how this works out. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
I’m always the one with all the tools and such and we always end up using them at some point. The thing is, it’s usually on someone else’s rig. Sounds like my friends need to bring more stuff so I don’t have to. Until then I continue to pack heavy.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,513
Rcvs all cleaned up and inspected as well as new seals pressed on.

20200102_102559 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Looking into replacing my toyos, want something wider, love to step up to a 42, but funds and limited availability of tires holding me back. Really considered going back to a mtrk, but I cut so many with the buggy. Looking at st pro's or the new Baja boss. Waiting for a toyo to get delivered to compare all 3 side by side.
20200102_125812 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Got the ball joint elminators. New lower ball joints, and also ordered new wheel bearings. Old ones were feeling like gravel. Also ordered a template to convert the pattern myself.

20200102_133139 by Cheapthrillb2, on Flickr

Also ordered some boat sides, so the poison spyder rocker guards will be off and for sale soon.

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,514
Got the sliders off to sell. Boatsides ordered, said they'd ship next week.

Verified oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. It's has it :sonicjay:

Pulled the diff cover in the front for the first time in I think 3 yrs, looked good considering.

Attachments

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,520
Leaning towards getting baja boss tires..
On the left.

It's the tallest (barely)
Widest
Has 1/32nd more tread then toyo and Cooper.
The toyo has a thicker sidewall feel, but Baja feels thick to.
Baja has the more aggressive side lugs as well.

Attachments

1501 - 1520 of 1548 Posts