Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two schools of thought on this: hammer type crimping and soldering. Which is preferable? I need to make my cables for my XJ and have cable already, just need to get the lugs and put everything together.

Don't say "Just buy cables already done." I'd rather get the lugs for $5 then spending $25 on pre-made cables.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
yeah i have a nicopress tool which i use for my battery cables.

three crimps and it's NEVER coming apart.

I know it's not cheap though, but i didnt buy it so it's all good :D

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
anybody know if autozone has these to lend out?
Oh, and i was looking at buying one of those once, and my guys at napa said screw that, mount the lug/cable in a vise and hit it with a stub nosed cold chisel, will accomplish the exact same thing for alot less

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Oh, and i was looking at buying one of those once, and my guys at napa said screw that, mount the lug/cable in a vise and hit it with a stub nosed cold chisel, will accomplish the exact same thing for alot less
This is what I do, works fine. A couple broad chisel lines across it to create some gripping points works good enough.

Do not underestimate what it actually takes to correctly solder a large cable into a lug.

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
I just put the terminal in the vice heat till red hot fill with solder then stab the wire into it. then heat shrink.

i have never had one fail doing this. and i use them this way on all of our plows and my electric dump box which are both very high load things

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
I just put the terminal in the vice heat till red hot fill with solder then stab the wire into it. then heat shrink.

i have never had one fail doing this. and i use them this way on all of our plows and my electric dump box which are both very high load things
X2
Learned that technique also from a old over-the-road trucker about 30 years ago. Used it probably 100 times for winches, plows, generators, etc and never had a failure.
jim-kb8ymf

1 - 14 of 14 Posts