Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Now that I need to do an oil pump in mine, I'm contemplating keeping it or selling it. I will do the pump so it is mechanically sound, but I'm worried it's going to start nickel diming me to death. With all the mechanical repairs done, new brakes and fairly new tires, I would think I could get 15-20k for it if I sold it outright..... Might be time to let her go.
Right now, fixed up, would be the best time to sell it. If I was smart, i'd sell my 96, prolly the only time i'll get a decent price for it.

I'm not smart, and apparently too attached to it, otherwise I would do just lol

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Right now, fixed up, would be the best time to sell it. If I was smart, i'd sell my 96, prolly the only time i'll get a decent price for it.

I'm not smart, and apparently too attached to it, otherwise I would do just lol
LMAO! I get it... Part of me says why sell it because you have already spent all this money to fix it, then the other part of me says it's now in near perfect condition and will net you the most money.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,753 Posts
Now that I need to do an oil pump in mine, I'm contemplating keeping it or selling it. I will do the pump so it is mechanically sound, but I'm worried it's going to start nickel diming me to death. With all the mechanical repairs done, new brakes and fairly new tires, I would think I could get 15-20k for it if I sold it outright..... Might be time to let her go.
I actually look at things like this in the opposite direction. I would have wanted to sell it needing these repairs but still being very drivable. Not many people will help you get all of your repair money back. And, it seems you are now fixing everything that should be an issue with your truck. Might as well get your tranny and rear axle fluid swapped also and drive it another 100k...

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
I actually look at things like this in the opposite direction. I would have wanted to sell it needing these repairs but still being very drivable. Not many people will help you get all of your repair money back. And, it seems you are now fixing everything that should be an issue with your truck. Might as well get your tranny and rear axle fluid swapped also and drive it another 100k...
My issue is, the body will start to develop rust in the next few years. Not only do I HATE rust, rust will significantly decrease the resale value. So, that's why I am contemplating getting rid of it. I can sell it for a premium (well, premium for what it is) right now, and get back SOME of what I put into it. It is also paid for, so if I get 18k out of it, put the 3k back in the bank that I spent, I have 15k to put down on something newer. (like 2019ish)

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Update on this... The truck is back at the dealer and finally done. Dealer took it back and made it right. They replaced the oil pump, bypass, seals, and pickup. I go to pick it up today, so I'll find out for sure, but according to the technician it had 60PSI cold oil pressure this morning when they fired it and NO valve train noise. Back to @SHARPMACHINE comment before, I might as well keep it now. Pretty much the trans is all that will need service along with shocks and struts, then it's good for another 100-150k...... :ROFLMAO:

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Update on this... The truck is back at the dealer and finally done. Dealer took it back and made it right. They replaced the oil pump, bypass, seals, and pickup. I go to pick it up today, so I'll find out for sure, but according to the technician it had 60PSI cold oil pressure this morning when they fired it and NO valve train noise. Back to @SHARPMACHINE comment before, I might as well keep it now. Pretty much the trans is all that will need service along with shocks and struts, then it's good for another 100-150k...... :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the update. for me, i'd probably just plan on keeping my truck. Not only cause I just paid for it, but might as well. Maybe i'd feel differently if it keeps nickel and diming me haha

For my truck, I have been using that diablo AFM module thing for the past several weeks. I really like it, I like not having that weird lurch when it goes into or out of V4. I feel like the truck is smoother when accelerating as well. In reality i'll still be planning on spending $$ eventually for lifters, but it is what it is. I still love the truck; used it for several towing trips with the camper already and it tows at least twice as well as my step-dads '19 Ram. I do not use a WD hitch for the camper, just a sway control; but I will be purchasing one for a trip to the Smokies later this year.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Thanks for the update. for me, i'd probably just plan on keeping my truck. Not only cause I just paid for it, but might as well. Maybe i'd feel differently if it keeps nickel and diming me haha

For my truck, I have been using that diablo AFM module thing for the past several weeks. I really like it, I like not having that weird lurch when it goes into or out of V4. I feel like the truck is smoother when accelerating as well. In reality i'll still be planning on spending $$ eventually for lifters, but it is what it is. I still love the truck; used it for several towing trips with the camper already and it tows at least twice as well as my step-dads '19 Ram. I do not use a WD hitch for the camper, just a sway control; but I will be purchasing one for a trip to the Smokies later this year.
That's awesome! I am glad to hear that you like the Diablo. It is like driving a whole new truck once you turn off AFM.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Two more trips with the setup; heading to wilderness SP end of July, then off the to Smokies in September. Really excited for both trips; obviously more so for the smoky mountains since we've never been there. Wife wanted to go to Mackinac island again, and I like traveling, so why not. Booked an ok site at wilderness for july, we're gonna take some time off from work during the week in july and go for a couple days.

we're not planning on taking our dogs with us in September, other than that, they usually go with us everywhere else we go.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Two more trips with the setup; heading to wilderness SP end of July, then off the to Smokies in September. Really excited for both trips; obviously more so for the smoky mountains since we've never been there. Wife wanted to go to Mackinac island again, and I like traveling, so why not. Booked an ok site at wilderness for july, we're gonna take some time off from work during the week in july and go for a couple days.

we're not planning on taking our dogs with us in September, other than that, they usually go with us everywhere else we go.
Sounds like some good trips!

We just went to Mackinac on 6/28. Check out The Rusted Spoke Brewing Company. The food was awesome.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Another update on towing and what not.

All the trips so far have been flawless with the truck/trailer combo. End of the week the wife and I are heading to Pigeon Forge for a week camping/activities. Truck pulls very well and no issues with it so far.

For the trip this week, I just put new brakes on it, looked like someone just put new pads on old rotors (shitty rotors I might add, not turned), new struts on the front, and shocks on the back. It didn't need rear shocks, but I swapped them out anyway since I was doing stuff. I put on the monroe load leveling shocks, very happy with them on my other vehicles. I still want to do a tranny fluid and filter change before we go, and another oil change.

I did pick up a 600lb WD hitch, and got it setup yesterday; got lucky and where the height was on the ball was within and inch of the level trailer; so I left it. Everything else set up pretty well; it's just a round bar Husky setup, i would have preferred trunnion bar, but the husky was $100 with everything, and it looked damn near brand new. So i'll be running a WD w/ sway control on this trip. Just cause of the longer drive, on the freeway, and the mountains.

Also, I found out that my truck has drum rear brakes, I didn't even think to pay attention to that; I actually just assumed that all those trucks had 4 wheel disc. Not sure if that's good or bad. Kinda leaning towards that's part of the HD towing packages somewhere.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Another update on towing and what not.

All the trips so far have been flawless with the truck/trailer combo. End of the week the wife and I are heading to Pigeon Forge for a week camping/activities. Truck pulls very well and no issues with it so far.

For the trip this week, I just put new brakes on it, looked like someone just put new pads on old rotors (shitty rotors I might add, not turned), new struts on the front, and shocks on the back. It didn't need rear shocks, but I swapped them out anyway since I was doing stuff. I put on the monroe load leveling shocks, very happy with them on my other vehicles. I still want to do a tranny fluid and filter change before we go, and another oil change.

I did pick up a 600lb WD hitch, and got it setup yesterday; got lucky and where the height was on the ball was within and inch of the level trailer; so I left it. Everything else set up pretty well; it's just a round bar Husky setup, i would have preferred trunnion bar, but the husky was $100 with everything, and it looked damn near brand new. So i'll be running a WD w/ sway control on this trip. Just cause of the longer drive, on the freeway, and the mountains.

Also, I found out that my truck has drum rear brakes, I didn't even think to pay attention to that; I actually just assumed that all those trucks had 4 wheel disc. Not sure if that's good or bad. Kinda leaning towards that's part of the HD towing packages somewhere.
General Motors said in their testing years ago that they noticed no performance difference from disc to drum rear brakes.... So, the 1988 - 1998 trucks had rear drum brakes, the 1999 - 2007 trucks had 4 wheel disc brakes, then the 2007 - 2013 trucks had rear drum.... Oddly from 2014 on they are back to 4 wheel disc. Which leads me to believe they're full of shit and just switched our trucks back to rear drum to save $$$.....

41 - 51 of 51 Posts