Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Run it and when the lifters start shitting themselves just pull the intake and replace them with LS7 lifters. It's not that bad of a job. Might as well keep the gas mileage while you can, disabling it doesn't seem to make the lifters last any longer as far as I can tell. I've flashed a lot out with HPTuners. I kept them on my L86, even after the VLOM failed I put factory lifters back in with a new VLOM and kept using AFM. It's nice to get 30+mpg around town.

A Prodigy brake controller, a set of decent tires (2800lb+ Pmetric or LRE), a Hellwig 7800 rear sway bar, and Firestone Sport-Rite 2320 airbags... and it will be way more nice to tow with yet still get better gas mileage and ride better than a 3/4 ton. You can drill and tap the frame for the bag brackets. I've put the same setups on 3 of my trucks and 3 other trucks ranging from 1999-2018. Well, except my last two trucks came with integrated brake controllers.
Um, obviously you haven't done lifters on an LS motor.... You need to pull the heads to change the lifters. It's not like the old 350. This is a fairly involved job...

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Um, obviously you haven't done lifters on an LS motor.... You need to pull the heads to change the lifters. It's not like the old 350. This is a fairly involved job...
That's what I thought, but never doing them I wasn't 100%. Thanks for the clarification! I also picked up a AFM diable module exactly as you showed me; found one on ebay for $125 brand new. Probably the only thing i'm going to be doing to thsi truck for a while.

Towing with this truck was excellent. Admittedly our camper is not that heavy, 3,700lbs dry, probably 4,500 loaded (just guessing loaded). You knew you had weight, but other than that the truck acted like nothing was there. It towed better than my stepdads 2019 Ram 1500 3.6; and much better than our WK 4.7L. I did not use a WD hitch, only sway control. The TW of that camper is like 300lbs. For longer trips i'd probably go ahead and pick up a 600lb WD hitch though; just for piece of mind. Don't think there is much I would improve on for towing; least for the weights i'll be dealing with. I would not mind getting a set of load level shocks; I have those on the jeep and my 96K1500.

The trip itself was great as well. Weather was decent, cold, but no rain other than early Friday afternoon. When it's cold out, we don't open up the bunk ends since both the dinet and couch fold down into beds; with the furnace in the camper, it stays 70 in there no problem.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Glad the maiden voyage was a success!

Just got the call from the dealer. My truck needs lifters. There goes $1600....
Don't scare me; I want to get completely oblivious for my truck. Cause I love it right now

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Don't be jinxing my shit!
Statistics man, not much you can do???? LOL
:ROFLMAO:

I told them to replace the oil pressure sensor and the filter that goes with it, along with plugs while they're in there. Oh, and the PCV since it's not a individual part anymore, but a whole valve cover. Might as well do it all while the top end is torn down. Gotta get another 100k out of old Lucille.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
My FIL has a 2009 Silverado that needed new lifters a couple years ago, I think he was around 170k miles at the time.

My wife had a 2009 Tahoe up to 154k miles before it got wrecked and no lifter noise or oil consumption. Now she's got a 2014 Suburban with about 125k on it and so far so good. I've thought about disabling AFM on both of them but have yet to bother.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I ordered and had delivered the diablo sprint that goose talked about; though I haven't plugged it in yet lol

We're taking the camper downstate to visit some friends this weekend, i'll have it plugged in for that trip and see how it does.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
I ordered and had delivered the diablo sprint that goose talked about; though I haven't plugged it in yet lol

We're taking the camper downstate to visit some friends this weekend, i'll have it plugged in for that trip and see how it does.
Perfect! Have a safe trip!

I'll be up your way Thursday (next week).

Oh, and on a side note, my truck also needs an oil pump.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts

It'll probably make zero difference on a towing trip, you'll be in V8 mode the vast majority of the time regardless of the programmer. The difference will primarily come into play cruising around unloaded.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
It'll probably make zero difference on a towing trip, you'll be in V8 mode the vast majority of the time regardless of the programmer. The difference will primarily come into play cruising around unloaded.
Yep, you're right.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Good point; probably should have been doing it to opposite way lol

After I thought about it; I kind of assumed that putting the truck in tow-haul mode would prevent it from changing into V4 mode when towing

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
Mind me asking what it would cost to get the lifters alone fixed? I am flipping an 09 gmc sierra 4x4 6.0 hybrid right now. Lifters are pretty loud. Might look for someone to fix it, or sell it as is?
Thousands because they did them all and a cam... Loud lifters can also be from a bad oil pump. Seems that might have been what caused mine to wear because I still have clatter and low pressure after all the new parts. Trying to get it back to get the pump done before I head up north next weekend.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,750 Posts
Thousands because they did them all and a cam... Loud lifters can also be from a bad oil pump. Seems that might have been what caused mine to wear because I still have clatter and low pressure after all the new parts. Trying to get it back to get the pump done before I head up north next weekend.
Dang, that sucks!!! Sorry to hear...

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I guess i'll deal with the problems as they come; but so far; very happy with the truck. Probably going to wish I didn't pay that much in a couple years, but it was only a 3 year loan, so hopefully I shouldn't owe money on it for too long.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
I guess i'll deal with the problems as they come; but so far; very happy with the truck. Probably going to wish I didn't pay that much in a couple years, but it was only a 3 year loan, so hopefully I shouldn't owe money on it for too long.
Now that I need to do an oil pump in mine, I'm contemplating keeping it or selling it. I will do the pump so it is mechanically sound, but I'm worried it's going to start nickel diming me to death. With all the mechanical repairs done, new brakes and fairly new tires, I would think I could get 15-20k for it if I sold it outright..... Might be time to let her go.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts