Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are heading to Onaway state park for a quick weekend camp.

2nd year for our little rockwood hybrid. Got it back from getting all the seals done a month ago and just did the de winterizing. At times i feel like im renegging on past camping ideas, since i used to always say "tents are perfectly fine". Then I lucked into a hell of deal on this one, and would not go back to tenting unless absolutely had to. I still backpack tent, and tent. By myself, but having walls, is a big plus versus a piece of fabric.

Towing it, is our new to us 2013 gmc sierra sle. Found a good deal at the local. hlchevy dealer, and the truck had just the right amount of options for me. Notably, 9,600lbs towing, no fawking leather, less than 100k miles, no rust holes, 5.3L, and last but not least....no. mother. Fawking. Leather. Ext cab instead of crew, cause reasons, but absolutely spotless interior. Old tech for a 2013, but just enough to make it comfortable. The 10k+ price jump from '13-'14 was not in our budget either way.

Having owned for...48 hours? Have no issues with it yet. Did I need a heavy tower, no I do not. Its still a half ton, but I wanted to have the availability to tow the tractor and the odd piece of heavy equipment (mini ex etc). Had to add a trailer brake controller cause it did not come with a built in one. Which was perfectly fine as ive had a good one for a couple years still in the box, with the wiring. May end up changing the location as i do stretch my leg against it every now and again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,755 Posts
Beautiful truck, I'm definitely envious of your camping trip. I really need to get away for a few days. Enjoy!

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
Enjoy your trip!

I have the exact same truck in black. I was thinking about adding fender flares; it's nice to see what the truck looks like with them.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,438 Posts
Nice, too bad you could not find a truck with leather.

I always found the factory predrilled holes under the dash put a brake controller in a spot that I could see it but never hit it with my shins.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Enjoy your trip!

I have the exact same truck in black. I was thinking about adding fender flares; it's nice to see what the truck looks like with them.
I really like them, though they do kind of give the truck a goofy stance since the wheels aren't offset and the flares stick out a bit; but it's not terrible and the flares just give it a little something extra. I'm a huge fan of the little things on the truck that make it stand out from others.

Nice, too bad you could not find a truck with leather.

I always found the factory predrilled holes under the dash put a brake controller in a spot that I could see it but never hit it with my shins.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
😂 ......I went from my ford fusion SEL that had leather seats, and hated every minute of them.

factory predrilled holes?.....luckily I used double sided tape then; would have real pissed to put screw holes in the dash for no reason. I'll have to look and see if there is ones

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,621 Posts
Looks like a nice truck. No issues with the active cylinder stuff?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a nice truck. No issues with the active cylinder stuff?
Nothing yet, and nothing in the service logs on it that I remember seeing. The previous owner bought it new from that dealer, and had all work done there, so at least it has service logs for the whole life of the truck. Seems like, and also hoping that GM got the main issues figured out by 2013. I know they had a lot of issues from the 07 to 11

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
Nothing yet, and nothing in the service logs on it that I remember seeing. The previous owner bought it new from that dealer, and had all work done there, so at least it has service logs for the whole life of the truck. Seems like, and also hoping that GM got the main issues figured out by 2013. I know they had a lot of issues from the 07 to 11
My '13 with 150k on it is at the dealer now for lifters. My recommendation is turn them off. I purchased this and mine has been off since around 80k miles.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '13 with 150k on it is at the dealer now for lifters. My recommendation is turn them off. I purchased this and mine has been off since around 80k miles.

I was reading, last night, on turning off the AFM; do I need to do anything else other than use a tuner? I would much rather have the AFM off than on.

I have a superchips that I use in the wife's WK, is the diablo the same type of tuner, just different brand? If so, i'm ordering one.

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
I was reading, last night, on turning off the AFM; do I need to do anything else other than use a tuner? I would much rather have the AFM off than on.

I have a superchips that I use in the wife's WK, is the diablo the same type of tuner, just different brand? If so, i'm ordering one.
The one I sent you stays plugged into the OBD II port. Its only function is to turn off AFM. I've had mine for years without issue.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one I sent you stays plugged into the OBD II port. Its only function is to turn off AFM. I've had mine for years without issue.
No issues with having to take it out/ put it back in to do any other OBDII scan?

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
No issues with having to take it out/ put it back in to do any other OBDII scan?
Nope. When I dropped the truck off at the dealer on Monday the service writer pulled it out, plugged in his diagnostic reader, than plugged it back in.

It is a night and day difference running in 8 cylinder mode all the time. You can also disable it if you drive in manual 5th gear mode, which would be fine for towing but I didn't want the higher RPMs on the freeway when I was unloaded. (basically if you lock out 6th gear AFM will stay off)

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope. When I dropped the truck off at the dealer on Monday the service writer pulled it out, plugged in his diagnostic reader, than plugged it back in.

It is a night and day difference running in 8 cylinder mode all the time. You can also disable it if you drive in manual 5th gear mode, which would be fine for towing but I didn't want the higher RPMs on the freeway when I was unloaded. (basically if you lock out 6th gear AFM will stay off)
Looks like I know what i'm purchasing next.

Anything I can do now to look at/test/diagnose any potential value issues? I dont' have any noticeable valve noise/ticks

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
Looks like I know what i'm purchasing next.

Anything I can do now to look at/test/diagnose any potential value issues? I dont' have any noticeable valve noise/ticks
There is nothing you can do.... Once you start to hear lifter tick, you'll know that it's time to think about doing something. Mine started ticking slightly at around 120-125k, now at 150k on a cold start it's very noticeable. Sometimes they start to go at 80k, sometimes they'll be good until 200k, but they will eventually fail.

EDIT: if I had the mechanical ability (and the time) to delete AFM, I would. At this point if I have the lifters replaced and they last another 150k, the truck will be dead by then anyway as it would have 300,000 miles on it....hahaha

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is nothing you can do.... Once you start to hear lifter tick, you'll know that it's time to think about doing something. Mine started ticking slightly at around 120-125k, now at 150k on a cold start it's very noticeable. Sometimes they start to go at 80k, sometimes they'll be good until 200k, but they will eventually fail.

EDIT: if I had the mechanical ability (and the time) to delete AFM, I would. At this point if I have the lifters replaced and they last another 150k, the truck will be dead by then anyway as it would have 300,000 miles on it....hahaha
I remember reading that to completely delete it is a bit involved as you have to change the cam with some other stuff. Probably beyond my ability to do in a driveway....

Is there a downside to disabling it? Maybe there was something in the earlier years about oil getting past the pistons, then they changed the design and added like a splash shield from the high volume oil pump?

·
Gustafson
9,965 Posts
I remember reading that to completely delete it is a bit involved as you have to change the cam with some other stuff. Probably beyond my ability to do in a driveway....

Is there a downside to disabling it? Maybe there was something in the earlier years about oil getting past the pistons, then they changed the design and added like a splash shield from the high volume oil pump?
There is no disadvantage other than a slight decrease in fuel economy, but the difference is negligible. I believe the oil consumption issue was resolved by 2011? Can't recall. I do know that at 150k I don't burn any oil. I run full synthetic and change it every 5,000 miles.

In order to completely delete it you need a new cam, lifters, push rods, and a custom tune. Some have said that if you put a factory non-AFM cam in, you can get away with just the AFM delete module (like I have) but either way, a lot of work and past my ability.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts

So this add on was a big help then?
I questioned the guy at the dealer about the throttle lag and he said its the way they run for fuel economy. Also said it was the onboard adaptive learning within the computer. I wasn't so sure on that. I assumed it had something to do with the throttle. In order for me to get into go faster mode I would have to mash the peddle to the floor just to pass and go. It's even worse when I pull my trailer.
You noticed a big difference in your truck?

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I suppose the only choice is to either get just a AFM disabler like goose said, or get a full tuner to disable it and tune the engine as well. I like the superchips tuner on the WK; and prior to the actual tuned computer on the 96, I had a handheld tuner. Get rid of the AFM and from what greygoose said and a lot of other people online, you'll get a much better throttle response.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
Now I suppose the only choice is to either get just a AFM disabler like goose said, or get a full tuner to disable it and tune the engine as well. I like the superchips tuner on the WK; and prior to the actual tuned computer on the 96, I had a handheld tuner. Get rid of the AFM and from what greygoose said and a lot of other people online, you'll get a much better throttle response.
This is good to know. Thanks

·
Project Antitube
974 Posts
Run it and when the lifters start shitting themselves just pull the intake and replace them with LS7 lifters. It's not that bad of a job. Might as well keep the gas mileage while you can, disabling it doesn't seem to make the lifters last any longer as far as I can tell. I've flashed a lot out with HPTuners. I kept them on my L86, even after the VLOM failed I put factory lifters back in with a new VLOM and kept using AFM. It's nice to get 30+mpg around town.

A Prodigy brake controller, a set of decent tires (2800lb+ Pmetric or LRE), a Hellwig 7800 rear sway bar, and Firestone Sport-Rite 2320 airbags... and it will be way more nice to tow with yet still get better gas mileage and ride better than a 3/4 ton. You can drill and tap the frame for the bag brackets. I've put the same setups on 3 of my trucks and 3 other trucks ranging from 1999-2018. Well, except my last two trucks came with integrated brake controllers.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts