Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I have a 86 cj 7 4.2 Motor is rebuilt and has aftermarket cam. Motor has 4,000 miles on it. Im thinking of going to full synthetic motor oil. My auto tranny rebuild is not a year old yet and Im thinking of changing the fluid in that (shop probly used nothing special. Im also looking at changing my transfer case fluid as well - never been done. Heres the question. what are you using for your motor, auto tranny and transfer case? Any special reason you went with those lubes?

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On flat-tappet motors. Many oils no longer contain ZDDP.
mine is flat- tappet the cam manufacturer warned about cam wear and no zddp in oil in general but did not specify organic or synthetic oil. It gave no suggestions about additives or type of oil to run . Do you have any? do I need additives with synth and organic oils. Im running a RV cam if that makes a difference to you.
This my daily driver / weekend wheeler Thanks

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,939 Posts
Don't you only need to add the additive for cam break in? Than after the 20mins or so of run time you drain the oil and fill with just regular oil??

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did that. but comp cam warns about premature wear do to lack zddp which environmentlists lobbied till it was taken out of most motor oils. check out their site.
side note : do you wheel any where around Livonia Im up there all the time ?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
did that. but comp cam warns about premature wear do to lack zddp which environmentlists lobbied till it was taken out of most motor oils. check out their site.
side note : do you wheel any where around Livonia Im up there all the time ?
As long as you're checking out sites, do some Googling for oils that still contain ZDDP. (Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc...)

For example...

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

The last colum is ZDDP levels. Recommended content is 1200-2000, IIRC.

And there isn't any legal wheeling in the Livonia area.

·
bitter clinger
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts