Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
What's your projected wheelbase? What size are the rollers?

I think pickups can handle a bit bigger tire, especially if the wheelbase is longer. 35 would also help with break over angle.
Wheelbase of 116" and those are 35" trepadors that are true to there size.

Keep in mind this thing is not going to be a dedicated rock crawler. It is going to be a Sunday car show, dune runner and very mild wheeler. It would kill me to see the cab and fenders get all scratched and dented to hell from any serious offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Low Range Drifter
8,125 Posts
Wheelbase of 116" and those are 35" trepadors that are true to there size.

Keep in mind this thing is not going to be a dedicated rock crawler. It is going to be a Sunday car show, dune runner and very mild wheeler. It would kill me to see the cab and fenders get all scratched and dented to hell from any serious offroading.
Yeah, but you do need some break over angle for test hill.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Yeah, but you do need some break over angle for test hill.
Very valid point, I think I mis-interpreted break over angle as approach angle when I first read your post for some reason.

My brother with his extended cab short bed Silverado on 33's struggles quite a bit with that. Next time I see his truck I will have to get a belly height measurement on it to compare

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Looks like u should keep the 35s on it so u have a excuse to go 37s on the tj! Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I finished rebuilding the transmission and bolted it up last night, next up is figuring out a crossmember.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Sitting on its own weight for the first time in almost a year

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Does anybody have input for a transmission crossmember with 1 bushing in the middle vs. 1 at the frame on each side?

·
American
1,548 Posts
Does anybody have input for a transmission crossmember with 1 bushing in the middle vs. 1 at the frame on each side?

If I go flat belly with this drivetrain I'm going to ditch the factory set up for a x-member with a bushing on each end instead.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
If I go flat belly with this drivetrain I'm going to ditch the factory set up for a x-member with a bushing on each end instead.
I wouldn't if I was you with stock motor mounts. I built my wrangler crossmember with a poly bushing at each end and I was fighting t case adapter bolts coming loose. It got worse as my Novak motor mounts got more wore out.

You want your motor mounts to handle the majority of the torsional load, not the trans mount. And in my case with the wrangler the transmission mount was more rigid and that's why my bolts kept coming loose. With the new rebuild though this will be a non issue.

With the willys since it won't see the abuse that the wrangler does I'm thinking a single bushing in the middle of the crossmember for the transmission. That way the motor mounts will for sure handle almost all the torsional load.

·
American
1,548 Posts
I wouldn't if I was you with stock motor mounts. I built my wrangler crossmember with a poly bushing at each end and I was fighting t case adapter bolts coming loose. It got worse as my Novak motor mounts got more wore out.

You want your motor mounts to handle the majority of the torsional load, not the trans mount. And in my case with the wrangler the transmission mount was more rigid and that's why my bolts kept coming loose. With the new rebuild though this will be a non issue.

With the willys since it won't see the abuse that the wrangler does I'm thinking a single bushing in the middle of the crossmember for the transmission. That way the motor mounts will for sure handle almost all the torsional load.

If I go flat belly, my plan is to make new motor mounts too so I had that factored in.

But I highly doubt you seeing an issue, I don't have an issue with my factory set up which is just a rubber mount in the middle of the cross member.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Outboarded transmission mounts are a bad idea regardless of the type of motor mounts. You need 3 points to establish the mounting plane, adding more is only putting undue stresses on everything. More than one person has broken a transmission housing doing this. Remember, it's not just about stress from the drivetrain, the chassis is also twisting and putting loads on things. Overconstrain your powertrain mounts and now you're putting torsional loads through your thin, brittle, cast aluminum transmission case that it was never designed to experience.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Outboarded transmission mounts are a bad idea regardless of the type of motor mounts. You need 3 points to establish the mounting plane, adding more is only putting undue stresses on everything. More than one person has broken a transmission housing doing this. Remember, it's not just about stress from the drivetrain, the chassis is also twisting and putting loads on things. Overconstrain your powertrain mounts and now you're putting torsional loads through your thin, brittle, cast aluminum transmission case that it was never designed to experience.
Thanks for the info, if I end up having to re do my wrangler transmission crossmember because of the new motor position I will probably consider 1 center mounted bushing instead of 2 outboarded.

I gotta ask though, why is it that the majority of "offroad" universal crossmember kits come with 2 bushings and intend for them to be mounted outboarded? Space constraints to maintain flat belly? Or maybe they assume it's going on something with a roll cage tied into the frame at multiple points so chassis flex is very limited?

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Thanks for the info, if I end up having to re do my wrangler transmission crossmember because of the new motor position I will probably consider 1 center mounted bushing instead of 2 outboarded.

I gotta ask though, why is it that the majority of "offroad" universal crossmember kits come with 2 bushings and intend for them to be mounted outboarded? Space constraints to maintain flat belly? Or maybe they assume it's going on something with a roll cage tied into the frame at multiple points so chassis flex is very limited?

Because people don't know any better. Kind of like the dozens of companies who sell, and thousands of people who run, "anti-wrap" bars that are just single bars running from axle to frame with fixed mounts at both ends. It's wrong, it fights the suspension constantly, but it's cheap, easy, somewhat effective, and doesn't usually cause catastrophic failure so people eat it up.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts