Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Always chasing a big rack
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 xj sport with auto that I've lost my only key to. I'm selling (basically giving) the vehicle to my 16 yo nephew for his first vehicle. He got a job on his own in order to pay for the repairs the vehicle needs to be roadworthy.

First thing first he will need a new key and I'm looking for the VERY CHEAPEST way possible for him to start and drive the vehicle?

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
15,718 Posts
Go to the dealer with your vin and proof of ownership
go to the auto parts store buy a new cylinder and key
go to the junk yard and buy a used cylinder and key

·
Little Member
23,794 Posts
Have the VIN and call the dealer and hope the locks weren't ever changed or spend big money rekeying the whole rig.

·
Always chasing a big rack
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go to the dealer with your vin and proof of ownership
go to the auto parts store buy a new cylinder and key
go to the junk yard and buy a used cylinder and key
I like option 3 but from a little bit of reading it seams like I need a key to pull the cylinder lock out?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
hot wire with toggle switches and break the steering lock?

Honestly, options 1 and 2 will still leave you without door locks unless you plan on doing all the working of taking an entire set. If you don't, plan on him one day forgetting and locking the doors and not having a way to get in.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Option 4:
Mobile locksmith can come make you a key on the spot and will cost 50-80$. Takes them like 5 mins

And will be a duplicate that will work on all doors too

·
the ocean called
10,281 Posts
I can't imaging the dealer charging $150 to cut a standard key
I went and got a new key cut for my '01 TJ at one of our local Chrysler dealers. It's not a chipped key. Only reason I did it there is because I wanted the new one to read "Jeep" on it. I believe it was right around 8 point bucks for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts