Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my Jeep XJ lifted 3.5" with new tires. I would like to take the wife up north for the fall colors and take a nice trail/wood ride. Just wondering where is the nicest trail system for this in the lower pennisula? I am not looking for any aggressive riding for now seeing that the Jeep is my DD. Any suggestions????

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
Go to the Rose City Mio area theere is alot of easy trails and forest roads to go down up that way. They are all legal to cruise down and most of the time you won't need 4wheeldrive.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
For a trailriding color tour, just pick any city that you feel like visiting and go hit the seasonal roads. One of those county map books help a lot, they show the seasonal roads. I like Traverse City, Petoskey, Gaylord, Westbranch, Mio, Cadillac, Silver Lake, etc. That's what Michigan is known for. If you want lots and lots of trails go to the Pigeon River State Forest, maybe you will see some elk.

·
Fancy Lady
3,211 Posts
Fall rules. ( Cider Mills, Halloween, Deer Season, Colors, cool nights) It's just that bastard season after that pisses me off.
I know. I was born on Halloween, and I love the fall... It just seems like I have worked away my entire summer. I haven't even been to the house in Charlevoix yet this year, and here it is almost September.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. I was born on Halloween, and I love the fall... It just seems like I have worked away my entire summer. I haven't even been to the house in Charlevoix yet this year, and here it is almost September.

My wife gave birth to twins on May 17th. I have not did a thing all summer.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
this summer has blown. I have been so busy and now that I thought I was ready to start up my summer it is almost sept. and still trying to get the garage built before the winter so I can be poor and hang out in my garage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this summer has blown. I have been so busy and now that I thought I was ready to start up my summer it is almost sept. and still trying to get the garage built before the winter so I can be poor and hang out in my garage.

Hmmmmmm, Having a nice garage too hang out in makes you rich in my book.

·
Registered
387 Posts
For a trailriding color tour, just pick any city that you feel like visiting and go hit the seasonal roads. One of those county map books help a lot, they show the seasonal roads. I like Traverse City, Petoskey, Gaylord, Westbranch, Mio, Cadillac, Silver Lake, etc. That's what Michigan is known for. If you want lots and lots of trails go to the Pigeon River State Forest, maybe you will see some elk.
Never been to Pigeon River SF. Can you camp there? If not, where would your recommend camping in that area?

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
Never been to Pigeon River SF. Can you camp there? If not, where would your recommend camping in that area?
You can camp anywhere in any state forest. As long as you are not within 1/4 mile (i think) of a state forest campground.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
As others mentioned, you can camp in the state forest.
Do you want a campground or wilderness camp?
To wilderness camp, you just need a camp permit from the DNR that you fill out posted in your campsite somewhere. Pick a spot and stay free.

There are several campgrounds in the area and at least one inside the state forest. The one in the state forest is rustic (if I remember correctly), there is a Yogi Bear between Indian River and Onaway, there are some real nice State campgrounds on the lakes in the area. (Black Lake comes to mind)

The State Forest is pretty big, I'm sure there are more campgrounds in other areas, I am mostly around Onaway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts