Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on getting new tires for this winter. Not a real big rush as I just want to have them by the first big snow.

Problem is, I don't know what's a good tire or tire brand for all season/snow tires. I want something that is good in the snow/ice but I can still use for dry/summer driving.

I am looking at the Bridgestone blizzak, firestone winterforce 2, and general altimax 12

Kinda leaning towards the altimax 12 right now. I know opinons are plentiful and generally worth what you pay for them, but, what are the views on good tires for a car?

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
I had Nokian Hakkepallitas on a Volvo S60 a few years ago. I wouldn't say they were phenomenal but they did the trick. I was also cheap at the time and left them on in the summer, and they wore well. Maybe another option.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Any snow tires like the Blizzak will wear out very fast driving year round. They're very soft compound. They're awesome in the winter for sure, but not meant for summer use. Think of it like running stickies on a Jeep that sees 70% road use. They'll do awesome the 30% of the time in the rocks, but you'll wear them out super fast the rest of the time.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
running winter tires in the summer is about as stupid as running summer tires in the winter. You'll actually cost yourself more money.

If you want winter specifics throw them on some cheap steelies....in the long run it's the same cost because you'll put winters on for 3 months and your summers won't be wearing out during that time and the winters will then last you for 4 or 5 winters or more.

If you only want to buy one set just get all seasons.

·
Old School
33,019 Posts
I've never really had 'winter tires' unless it was because I wanted to keep my good wheels out of the salt.

I just run all season radials, and make sure I have deep enough tread.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
I've never really had 'winter tires' unless it was because I wanted to keep my good wheels out of the salt.

I think it is vehicle specific but most the time they make a big difference.

The wife has a 4wd Mariner and it was terrible in the snow. I put new tires on it the first year and it really didn't help, bought some Firestone Winterforce's for it and it made a huge improvement....stops and turns like you are on dry pavment.

·
Premium Member
5,238 Posts
any snow tires like the blizzak will wear out very fast driving year round. They're very soft compound. They're awesome in the winter for sure, but not meant for summer use. Think of it like running stickies on a jeep that sees 70% road use. They'll do awesome the 30% of the time in the rocks, but you'll wear them out super fast the rest of the time.
running winter tires in the summer is about as stupid as running summer tires in the winter. You'll actually cost yourself more money.

If you want winter specifics throw them on some cheap steelies....in the long run it's the same cost because you'll put winters on for 3 months and your summers won't be wearing out during that time and the winters will then last you for 4 or 5 winters or more.

If you only want to buy one set just get all seasons.
x3

·
Old School
33,019 Posts
I think it is vehicle specific but most the time they make a big difference.

The wife has a 4wd Mariner and it was terrible in the snow. I put new tires on it the first year and it really didn't help, bought some Firestone Winterforce's for it and it made a huge improvement....stops and turns like you are on dry pavment.
I ran the Toyo Proxes 4 year round on the Camaro, no problems. Main thing is don't drive like an ass in the snow.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts

Which explains why you think your current tires are decent or good enough.

As @frdboy mentioned, winter tires can make a night and day difference on most vehicles. I became a believer when my uncles 1 ton rear wheel drive van crawled out of my parents driveway when most everyone else had to take a huge run at the hill (2wd or fwd). I was further convinced when I lived up north where people run summer/winter sets.

It's worth the money especially if you have room to store them.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts

As @frdboy mentioned, winter tires can make a night and day difference on most vehicles. I became a believer when my uncles 1 ton rear wheel drive van crawled out of my parents driveway when most everyone else had to take a huge run at the hill (2wd or fwd). I was further convinced when I lived up north where people run summer/winter sets.

Agreed. I've run with and without them in vehicles that didn't need them and it's still a night and day difference. I had them on my first Subaru because it came with them. It was the worst winter I've seen downstate and those Blizzaks were absolutely incredible. I've never had so much confidence or so much fun in nasty conditions. I haven't run them on any previous vehicles since because I'm too much of a cheap ass, but I still acknowledge that they absolutely live up to the hype, even if you have a 4WD or AWD. In the city they won't be as effective as often since things get cleared and salted quicker, but there are still plenty of times they'll be beneficial.

Just remembered, when I first got my current Subaru it came with a set of extra winter tires. They were 5+ years old at the time. Seemed like the rubber dried out and traction went to shit, despite still having 75%+ of tread and great siping. So don't buy old snow tires, they do not do nearly as well as newer ones.

·
Old School
33,019 Posts

I've driven vehicles with real winter tires (Nokian something or others, don't recall) and I agree, there is a difference, but for where I live and where I drive all seasons do the job well enough that I can't justify the expense.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Agreed. I've run with and without them in vehicles that didn't need them and it's still a night and day difference. I had them on my first Subaru because it came with them. It was the worst winter I've seen downstate and those Blizzaks were absolutely incredible. I've never had so much confidence or so much fun in nasty conditions. I haven't run them on any previous vehicles since because I'm too much of a cheap ass, but I still acknowledge that they absolutely live up to the hype, even if you have a 4WD or AWD. In the city they won't be as effective as often since things get cleared and salted quicker, but there are still plenty of times they'll be beneficial.

Just remembered, when I first got my current Subaru it came with a set of extra winter tires. They were 5+ years old at the time. Seemed like the rubber dried out and traction went to shit, despite still having 75%+ of tread and great siping. So don't buy old snow tires, they do not do nearly as well as newer ones.
My wife's imprezza isn't awesome in the snow, the AWD keeps it from getting stuck but the overall handling is a bit slimey, I'm planning on winter tires for her this year for sure.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
My wife's imprezza isn't awesome in the snow, the AWD keeps it from getting stuck but the overall handling is a bit slimey, I'm planning on winter tires for her this year for sure.
Depends on the snow IMO, deep or rutted stuff it still gets thrown around like the small car it is. I still drive my truck on the bad days because it just barrels through everything and goes where you point it. The little car definitely stops and goes better, just sucks to drive at speed in anything deep or heavy/wet. Plus with all the idiots around who act like they've never driven in snow I'd rather be in a 6400 lb truck than a 3000 lb coffin.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
Depends on the snow IMO, deep or rutted stuff it still gets thrown around like the small car it is. I still drive my truck on the bad days because it just barrels through everything and goes where you point it. The little car definitely stops and goes better, just sucks to drive at speed in anything deep or heavy/wet. Plus with all the idiots around who act like they've never driven in snow I'd rather be in a 6400 lb truck than a 3000 lb coffin.
100% my experiences with our car as well. It always keeps on trucking but over 40 in anything deep and it's tossed all around. Would still like to get her snows since it is her primary.

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
100% my experiences with our car as well. It always keeps on trucking but over 40 in anything deep and it's tossed all around. Would still like to get her snows since it is her primary.
Oh yeah I'm not arguing against snow tires by any means, they'll do nothing but help. I was just saying not to expect any miracles with such a light car unless you fill each of them with 500 lb of depleted uranium.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Years ago I had a 2001 Fukus and I put Dunlop Sp something tires on it. They were aggressive and all season. They did well in the snow and wore well on pavement. They were not a true winter tire. Ran them for two years before I got rid of the car. I was happy with there performance.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too many posts to quote directly, but I appreciate all the input :thumb:

It woudl almost be too much hassle to get a dedicated set of winter tires/wheels since I would need to find something with the sensors in them too...or go without, but I don't really want to buy another set of wheels too.

Didn't think about the differences in the tire compound with winter tires, would defiantly wear them out quick driving them in summer.

Is there much difference between all season tires or are they pretty much the same? Maybe that's a dumb question but they mostly all seem to be about the same. Is wally world worth going to for tires, never bought tires from them but i've had tires mounted

·
Yooper In Training
7,059 Posts
Is there much difference between all season tires or are they pretty much the same? Maybe that's a dumb question but they mostly all seem to be about the same. Is wally world worth going to for tires, never bought tires from them but i've had tires mounted
There are lots of differences IMO, and the best spot I've found for good reviews and comparisons is www.tirerack.com. The more siping and biting edges there are, generally the better they'll grip when you need them to most, but this can also make them a bit noisier and faster wearing. A tire rated for 60k miles is probably going to have a harder compound than one rated for 40k, and thus less traction. It's all a balancing act.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,122 Posts
Wheel sensors usually aren't too expensive.

And when i've looked at wheels lately (And purchased one for my spare) if you put in your vehicle info They'll install the sensors for you. Mine came all ready to rock.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts