Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adrenaline my drug choice
1,045 Posts
on helicoils or on bolt going in to helicoil ?

·
Adrenaline my drug choice
1,045 Posts
not needed

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
what prevents the helicoil from rusting to the bolt, preventing removal of the bolt in future work?
I would use blue loctite on the bolt... the helicoil is stainless so it won't rust to the bolt. When using the blue loctite it will also seal the helicoil in the aluminum.

42,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would use blue loctite on the bolt... the helicoil is stainless so it won't rust to the bolt. When using the blue loctite it will also seal the helicoil in the aluminum.
ok. So install the helicoils without loctite. Use it on the bolts.

I have to helicoil 6 holes, so I want to do it right the first time.

·
Yankabilly
7,944 Posts
ok. So install the helicoils without loctite. Use it on the bolts.

I have to helicoil 6 holes, so I want to do it right the first time.
That is how I do them... right, wrong or indifferent.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
No to locktite. Install heli coils dry, oil your bolt threads and heads, then torque to proper amount.

Since getting back into motorcycles, I have helicoiled MANY bolt holes in aluminum.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Helicoils designed to be put into dry holes do not use any form of loctite or thread seal. A helicoil when inserted properly will have movement inside hole they are inserted into. This is to alow for expansion and contraction of the metal.

As far as using a thread locker compounds on the bolts or stubs you put into the helicoil just use standard practices.

As far as color of loctite to use it all depends on your aplication but remember its not so much the color of loctite that maters it's the product number.

Someone said use blue loctite. Blue is great for something you want to take apart often. If it is for a permant or semi perminate application use red, green or even purple loctite. It also mater where the bolts are located heat and oil do affect loctite.

As for helicoils in aluminum they work just fine. We use them all day long on the planes at work and have no problems

·
5,820 Posts
A helicoil when inserted properly will have movement inside hole they are inserted into. This is to alow for expansion and contraction of the metal.
If there is movement in the hole you fucked up while running the tap through, there should be no movement, almost preload since the helicoil is pretty much a spring that you are putting into a smaller hole than it is at in it's free state.

Check a modern GM aluminum oilpan, they have a helicoil on the drain plug.
put the helicoil in without anything, knock the tang off and you're good to go.
It is not needed but if it makes you feel better then I dont see it hurting anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts