Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of locking lug is this? Never seen one like it, it almost looks like someone fucked one up. Need to get this tire changed and go figure, can't find the key socket for it.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,118 Posts
They have been using that style for years. I think my old 2001 Jeep had something like that, too.

I had one strip, and was able to weld a nut to the lug nut and back it out that way. I sprayed the wheel with anti-spatter and covered as much with a welding blanket that I could as a precaution.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They have been using that style for years. I think my old 2001 Jeep had something like that, too.

I had one strip, and was able to weld a nut to the lug nut and back it out that way. I sprayed the wheel with anti-spatter and covered as much with a welding blanket that I could as a precaution.
any idea what it's called? Can I get a key from auto zone or the like?

Edit: Just got a better look from teh pics, I thought it was different, like ti filled the whole lug cavity; but it looks like it's just a small lug nut, that a through style as now I can see that it's the stud itself in the center....would that be a spline style then?

Maybe I can just pound a 12 pt socket on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haven't seen a lug nut like that. Have you tried taking it to a local tire shop? Maybe they have a tool for it.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to update this, but I was able to just pound a 12 point socket onto it and it came right off. Not sure it was even torqued properly.

Have never seen one like that, it had like internal splined. The 12 point socket pounded easily onto the threads for the caps though.

Called the tire shop initially and they just suggested the socket method as well; took it to the same shop to have new tires put on and the mouth breather gave me a nasty look when I said I didn't have the key. Why TF do you think I called about getting it off in the first place. Dumbass. Can't imagine that's not a common occurance, loosing the locking key

1 - 5 of 5 Posts