Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A999 is a three speed trans mechanical shift so where is the input for the lockup signal
the 999 in later years came with lock in converter. the plug is on the pass side if i remember correctly and is a two prong connection. not at home or i would snap a picture.so your wrong there.

the jeep is a 98 which it really doesnt matter, has new front pump and fluid and filter i just put all this together for amanda. so i didnt cheap out with anything. i feel strongly its just gearing i know it has a numerically low gear in it for sure. i may set up gearing or just never drive it here again :sonicjay: the heavy ass thornbirds dont help im sure. motor does have some miles on it but hey its still a pup its a 4.0 :sonicjay: runs strong.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Yes, it has the cable, which is fine. The links address modifying the electronic controls of the transmission, not the cable. "Cable" and "kickdown" don't even appear in those articles, which is what I went looking for first. My solution to this exact problem on my XJ had nothing to do with the cable or any other adjustments under the hood.

******, what tire size and gearing is on this XJ? This problem usually begins once you get past 32's.

But I will told I'm wrong by some one here but you can drive a long time without the lockup working at all if you are not beating the trans to death (ie towing, heavy foot, or trail riding because yes you have a hotter running trans).
That's exactly what he is doing by trying to push a lifted brick through the air on the highway. The load is being increased and the trans is doing exactly what it should be doing acccording to its calibrations. It stays locked up in 4th when he's at higher speeds because the motor is higher up in its powerband. AW4's can also blow out their transmission fluid when they get too hot, which can lead to another issue. If it was already hot, its only going to get hotter with less fluid and decreased dwell time.

The solution is not to keep applying a band-aids (external cooler, etc). Its to fix what is causing the problem, which is insufficient gearing and/or power. Don't drive it in 4th unlocked. Pull the shifter down and drive in locked 3rd gear until you can get back up to 70. Then put it back in OD.

In Tab's case, he's just going beyond the limitations of the drivetrain in general.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The solution is not to keep applying a band-aids (external cooler, etc). Its to fix what is causing the problem, which is insufficient gearing and/or power. Don't drive it in 4th unlocked. Pull the shifter down and drive in locked 3rd gear until you can get back up to 70. Then put it back in OD.

In Tab's case, he's just going beyond the limitations of the drivetrain in general.
First of all a external trans cooler isn't a band-aid it's cooling the life blood in the trans. In this case would say it's a nessary item because the stock cooling is not design for what you are trying to do then with or with out the gearing. It will be a benefit for the trans as you stated heat is a problem. You have modified the jeep from stock and still think you can run stock items to function has it was stock. Your logic isn't there. Then why do all the axle swaps that are done?? ( Aplying your logic)

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
First of all a external trans cooler isn't a band-aid it's cooling the life blood in the trans. In this case would say it's a nessary item because the stock cooling is not design for what you are trying to do then with or with out the gearing. It will be a benefit for the trans as you stated heat is a problem. You have modified the jeep from stock and still think you can run stock items to function has it was stock. Your logic isn't there. Then why do all the axle swaps that are done?? ( Aplying your logic)
I don't think you know what logic is.

I'm not debating the function of an external trans cooler. It removes heat from fluid, but heat is not the problem here. Heat is the byproduct of the problem. If you add an additional trans cooler, you are not fixing anything. The problem that is occurring will continue to occur and continue to generate heat. Its a band-aid if you are adding one to try and fix anything here.

The motor needs to run within its designed powerband and rpm ranges in each gear for the transmission's calibrations to work properly. The solution to that problem is to correct the gearing. His XJ's trans cooling system will function just fine with the proper gearing, just as mine does.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

I'm not debating the function of an external trans cooler. It removes heat from fluid, but heat is not the problem here. Heat is the byproduct of the problem. If you add an additional trans cooler, you are not fixing anything. The problem that is occurring will continue to occur and continue to generate heat. Its a band-aid if you are adding one to try and fix anything here.

The motor needs to run within its designed powerband and rpm ranges in each gear for the transmission's calibrations to work properly. The solution to that problem is to correct the gearing. His XJ's trans cooling system will function just fine with the proper gearing, just as mine does.

word

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I don't understand what you are talking about, can you translate that into English please?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
A999 is a three speed trans mechanical shift so where is the input for the lockup signal
Mechanical lockup is controlled by the valve body. Chrysler had them since 1978 for fuel economy.

I'm callin' SPOBI on just about all of your tech posts.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I don't understand what you are talking about, can you translate that into English please?
NO

I have not said that you where wrong but be damm and high water before you will say that. I was suggesting things that could help solve his problem. It up to the person doing the repairs or build to make sure certain thing are done properly. What I posted at first would probly be something that they would not do. had I know a year on this I would have not even posted those links for this case. BUt every one gets the panties in a wad if you start asking question about their vehicle or just plain don't answer them.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
holy mother of god, this thread is retarded. I can't even believe it.

dodger, please go home and don't come back

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
I have not said that you where wrong but be damm and high water before you will say that.
? so your not saying he is wrong but that he should ? fail

PP's answers are almost always spot on (usually with research or pics).

pp :thumb: for all the useful information

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
Ummm... Ya know... See, here's the thing...

Ah never mind.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Holly shit man! This is gettin pretty frickin technical ah! ALRIGHT listen up ******, this is what your gonna have to do. Now pay attention. Your gonna want to open the hood of the vehicle and remove the dip stick, shove it up your ass and do a cartwheel off the side of the falls wearing nothing but your girlfreind underwear yelling I love naked asian midgets, as you plummet to the bottom. Now I know what your thinking here, what the hell is this gonna solve? But hey, what the hell could it hurt ah? Besides then you wont have to worry no longer bout no stinkin uppitty down shiffty, or what ever the hell your problem is. Come back home I need help moving these damn 1 ton axels around.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Holly shit man! This is gettin pretty frickin technical ah! ALRIGHT listen up ******, this is what your gonna have to do. Now pay attention. Your gonna want to open the hood of the vehicle and remove the dip stick, shove it up your ass and do a cartwheel off the side of the falls wearing nothing but your girlfreind underwear yelling I love naked asian midgets, as you plummet to the bottom. Now I know what your thinking here, what the hell is this gonna solve? But hey, what the hell could it hurt ah? Besides then you wont have to worry no longer bout no stinkin uppitty down shiffty, or what ever the hell your problem is. Come back home I need help moving these damn 1 ton axels around.
did that shift problem still there thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Hey know problem bro! Serioulsy, are you ever coming back? This shits getting heavy here by myself. Wanna buys some 1 tons? Fuck it I'm buying a Toyota.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts