Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyway to disable it? maybe put in on a switch in canada and its running too much in 3rd good in 4th but when converter locks up loses speed and downshifts.

so basically its running at a speed were it wants to shift but really shouldnt lol

if i play with it and keep the converter from locking in its good. any ideas?

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
anyway to disable it? maybe put in on a switch in canada and its running too much in 3rd good in 4th but when converter locks up loses speed and downshifts.

so basically its running at a speed were it wants to shift but really shouldnt lol

if i play with it and keep the converter from locking in its good. any ideas?

Am i the only one that this makes NO sense to
:sonicjay:

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
What's Canada got to do with anything? :sonicjay:

Running unlocked in 4th is a great shortcut to a new trans. :thumb:

The TPS can cause undesireable shift behavior. However, it usually doesn't do what its supposed to do and stay locked in 4th because you either don't have enough power (motor is tired), or don't have good gearing.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im gonna lean toward gearing. at home at 70 mph its good but here with the 59 -65 mph its undesided. why would it burn up with it unlocked?

i just threw out the canada thing out there to pretty much say im traveling at a stupid speed

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
im gonna lean toward gearing. at home at 70 mph its good but here with the 59 -65 mph its undesided. why would it burn up with it unlocked?

i just threw out the canada thing out there to pretty much say im traveling at a stupid speed
drive a little faster, or a little slower?

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
faster im speeding about 27 kilometers over about 65-70 mph slower? whats that. ive tryed and been getting ran over. i guess ill deal with it i thought i could just disconnect the lock in convertor and be on my way my old truck had a kit in it for this reason.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What's Canada got to do with anything? :sonicjay:

Running unlocked in 4th is a great shortcut to a new trans. :thumb:

The TPS can cause undesireable shift behavior. However, it usually doesn't do what its supposed to do and stay locked in 4th because you either don't have enough power (motor is tired), or don't have good gearing.
If what you are saying about shorting the life span of a trans because you didn't lock the torque convertor up does not make logical sence. What about all the years that they did not have lock ups on them. Yes they will run a little hotter. So you run a trans cooler to keep your tempatures down.
And what do you think that tow/haul switch is in the GM is for they unlock the torque convertors is all that does.

I would check the kick down cable for proper adjustment.

Here are some links that you can use to decide for yourself.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoSwitch.htm
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...4_jeep_cherokees_transmission_lock/index.html

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
If what you are saying about shorting the life span of a trans because you didn't lock the torque convertor up does not make logical sence. What about all the years that they did not have lock ups on them. Yes they will run a little hotter. So you run a trans cooler to keep your tempatures down.
And what do you think that tow/haul switch is in the GM is for they unlock the torque convertors is all that does.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...4_jeep_cherokees_transmission_lock/index.html

Yes, he will kill it from heat. It happens to AW4's, 700r4's, and other transmissions all the time. You need to educate yourself on why shift management systems were created.

Shut up and go away.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Not to butt into your guys love fest but the aw4 does have a kickdown cable. But it is adjustable. Unless you knew that (probably do) and your talking about something else entirely. My aw4 seems to hunt between 4th and lockup too but I just thought it was because I have 40's with 5.13 gears.

·
Because racecar
4,041 Posts

You need to STFU you have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It doesn't have a kickdown cable you dumbfuck. Its an electronically shifted AW4. If you had read the links you posted, you'd know that.

Yes, he will kill it from heat. It happens to AW4's, 700r4's, and other transmissions all the time. You need to educate yourself on why shift management systems were created.

Shut up and go away.

Ok I will shut up if you can tell me what this cable is for if not a manaul kick down or throttle postion cable one in the same just a different name. And see nothing in this post about a year! So I take it that you just presume it just certain years of the aw4.
And if you didn't notice that I did state a trans cooler would be needed to the cooling system for the trans. If you would have read a little more or what was posted

It is the one with the yellow arrow.

In the blue box is showing the AW4 electrical conection.

Cable in question going to the trans if this cable isn't adjusted right it will give him the same problem as described.

Is the throttle cable

Is the Cruise control

This came out of and xj is now living fine in my yj.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
Ok I will shut up if you can tell me what this cable is for if not a manaul kick down or throttle postion cable one in the same just a different name. And see nothing in this post about a year! So I take it that you just presume it just certain years of the aw4.
And if you didn't notice that I did state a trans cooler would be needed to the cooling system for the trans. If you would have read a little more or what was posted

It is the one with the yellow arrow.

In the blue box is showing the AW4 electrical conection.

Cable in question going to the trans if this cable isn't adjusted right it will give him the same problem as described.

Is the throttle cable

Is the Cruise control

This came out of and xj is now living fine in my yj.
I thought while it is "hunting" for the gear it will burn up the bearings if it doesnt lock? maybe im wrong?

More info please im curious.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The hunting can also be a weak pump, dirty ports, clogged filter and or just dirty worn out fluids the trans not holding the right pressure. And what you will burn out is the lock up clutch itself as far as the hunting issuse goes. You notice that it will seem to slip in lockup which means a new or rebluit Torque convertor. But I will told I'm wrong by some one here but you can drive a long time without the lockup working at all if you are not beating the trans to death (ie towing, heavy foot, or trail riding because yes you have a hotter running trans).

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
The hunting can also be a weak pump, dirty ports, clogged filter and or just dirty worn out fluids the trans not holding the right pressure. And what you will burn out is the lock up clutch itself as far as the hunting issuse goes. You notice that it will seem to slip in lockup which means a new or rebluit Torque convertor. But I will told I'm wrong by some one here but you can drive a long time without the lockup working at all if you are not beating the trans to death (ie towing, heavy foot, or trail riding because yes you have a hotter running trans).
i just got my jeep (999 auto in a cj 6cyl) on the road a few weeks ago and im just going through and getting the kickdown set up.

So this thread is a really good read.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
i just got my jeep (999 auto in a cj 6cyl) on the road a few weeks ago and im just going through and getting the kickdown set up.

So this thread is a really good read.

Thanks for the info.
you are talking about a different beast there. A999 does not have a lockup convetor in it.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
you are talking about a different beast there. A999 does not have a lockup convetor in it.
my tranny is a 3 speed 999.

After it shifts into 3rd, the converter then "locks" or drops rpms slightly.

Maybe locks is the wrong terminology but it almost feels like a 4th gear, but its not.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,616 Posts
my tranny is a 3 speed 999.

After it shifts into 3rd, the converter then "locks" or drops rpms slightly.

Maybe locks is the wrong terminology but it almost feels like a 4th gear, but its not.
Thread hi-jack

What does the plug look like for the lock up? I would like a lock-up converter, but never heard of someone actualy having one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts