Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you get settled in, or for that matter if you need a hand with anything, give me a bump...I'm only about 30 miles north of you. Congrats and good luck with your move!

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Well, if beach and boat are priorities, that's not a terrible compromise. I would have preferred a bit more property with my new house, but 2 1/2 acres backing up to 20+ undeveloped (and land locked) wasn't bad. It doesn't have the pole barn I wanted, but I can build one of those.

I found that much of what I looked at that met my criteria, had some real deal killers as well.
I got five acres. I found out yesterday a guy on the next block owns 80 some odd acres that runs along my lot. He bought it so nobody can build behind him. My “Sugar Shack” walk out basement faces that.
I’m looking for a reason to back out of the deal, I cannot find one.

On edit: The neighbors acres, my view.

·
Gustafson
9,044 Posts
I got five acres. I found out yesterday a guy on the next block owns 80 some odd acres that runs along my lot. He bought it so nobody can build behind him. My “Sugar Shack” walk out basement faces that.
I’m looking for a reason to back out of the deal, I cannot find one.
That is certainly a bonus!

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
That is certainly a bonus!
So far the worst part are the huge golden brownish wasps. Seen one carrying away a raccoon.
Rain gutters need cleaned. Deck needs stain. Shop will get insulated, drywall and a boolerjan. I’m going to need to buy cord wood.

Today a RE attorney looks over the title and contracts looking for any land mines.

Somebody tell me about these free standing gas stoves that look like wood burners but are not. Are those worth it? Looks like it just burns money.

·
No more Jeep
4,007 Posts
I love the area around Beulah myself. I like the fact that it is Small town life but you not too far from a Big city if need be. Plus you have Crystal Lake right there witch is one of the best lakes in the state as well. But I have been going up that way my whole life so it has become my up north home.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I love the area around Beulah myself. I like the fact that it is Small town life but you not too far from a Big city if need be. Plus you have Crystal Lake right there witch is one of the best lakes in the state as well. But I have been going up that way my whole life so it has become my up north home.
Same here. Thanks to my ex-wife/ex-inlaws started visiting that area about 14yrs ago and have been going at least once a year ever since....have to....its my happy place. Spend a few days camping and kayaking.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Bear Lake to Beulah was my first choice. It just wasnt happening.
It’s a tough real estate market.

I don’t want a project. I don’t want a maintenance hog.

·
No more Jeep
4,007 Posts
Same here. Thanks to my ex-wife/ex-inlaws started visiting that area about 14yrs ago and have been going at least once a year ever since....have to....its my happy place. Spend a few days camping and kayaking.
I love going down the Betsie River or just out in the bay and then go out to the break water in a Kayak.

Bear Lake to Beulah was my first choice. It just wasnt happening.
It’s a tough real estate market.

I don’t want a project. I don’t want a maintenance hog.
Sadly that is so true about the area. You are going to either Pay Top dollar OR You get a hell of a deal but have to drop a Crap ton money to fix it up.

But if you wanted to Own a Building and/or Run/Own a Business in that area. I know of one in Elberta for sale. Got love Coffee and Sandwiches as well as renting out bikes. :naughty::naughty: :teehee::teehee:

MY Folks own a shop right in Elberta at the corner or M-22 and Formally M-168

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I love going down the Betsie River or just out in the bay and then go out to the break water in a Kayak.

MY Folks own a shop right in Elberta at the corner or M-22 and Formally M-168
Love to paddle the Betsie :d: That and the Upper Platte are my go to rivers. Never thought about paddling Betsie Lake, that might be fun. Paddled the Betsie two years ago during the Salmon run...that was awesome :rock:

Conundrum Cafe??

·
No more Jeep
4,007 Posts
Love to paddle the Betsie :d: That and the Upper Platte are my go to rivers. Never thought about paddling Betsie Lake, that might be fun. Paddled the Betsie two years ago during the Salmon run...that was awesome :rock:

Conundrum Cafe??
I want to do a trip during the run. I have heard its fun.

Yep, My Mom and Dad own Conundrum Cafe. Its my home away from when I go uo for my vacation time.

·
Yooper In Training
7,049 Posts
I love that whole part of the state. Beulah itself doesn't do much for me, I think it mostly got ruined for me like 20 years ago when we went to that creepy ass children of the corn Cherry Hut restaurant. The town is nice for sure and being right on Crystal Lake is great, I just get a weird vibe there now. But Frankfort, Glen Arbor, Empire, Leland, Suttons Bay, etc are all some of my favorite places to be. Beautiful country and gotta love the relaxed up north lake vibe.

I want to do a trip during the run. I have heard its fun.

Yep, My Mom and Dad own Conundrum Cafe. Its my home away from when I go uo for my vacation time.
Hmmm I think my mom is friends with your mom, I seem to remember her mentioning that place. Did/does your mom by chance work at Cromaine Library? Mine used to, can't remember if that's where she met said friend or not.

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
It looks like we can take possession Friday.
May is going to be crazy. Aside from moving, before I can move my shop I need new tires on my car trailer and weld the fenders in. Because the guy that borrowed it backs by Braille.

I recovered my wire feed from another “loan” and it is in parts and pieces.
We have a concert on June 1 to go to, I hope to be out of Memphis and moved in by then.
I got a month.

·
Gustafson
9,044 Posts
May is going to be crazy. Aside from moving, before I can move my shop I need new tires on my car trailer and weld the fenders in. Because the guy that borrowed it backs by Braille.

We have a concert on June 1 to go to, I hope to be out of Memphis and moved in by then.
I got a month.
Yeah, you have a LOT to do. I'm very busy for the next 6 weeks, but you got me beat. :sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts

I got a month.
Just in time for the morels to pop and the bike trails to dry out. :beer: Congrats

·
No more Jeep
4,007 Posts
I love that whole part of the state. Beulah itself doesn't do much for me, I think it mostly got ruined for me like 20 years ago when we went to that creepy ass children of the corn Cherry Hut restaurant. The town is nice for sure and being right on Crystal Lake is great, I just get a weird vibe there now. But Frankfort, Glen Arbor, Empire, Leland, Suttons Bay, etc are all some of my favorite places to be. Beautiful country and gotta love the relaxed up north lake vibe.

Hmmm I think my mom is friends with your mom, I seem to remember her mentioning that place. Did/does your mom by chance work at Cromaine Library? Mine used to, can't remember if that's where she met said friend or not.
She helped out at Cromaine a few times with stuff, But she was the head librarian for Hartland Schools but now she is back teaching

·
Desert Rat
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just in time for the morels to pop and the bike trails to dry out. :beer: Congrats
It’s a done deal.
Stayed here, slept on the floor.
GermanGirl is so excited she forgets her words and throwing out things like “Grass-Cutting-Machine” for lawn mower and “Food Weapons” for kitchen utensils. Priceless.

I will hire professional movers to pack the truck, I’ll drive it here, then hire professional movers to unload.
I might have a ride to Memphis the end of May to get one of five cars here.
Thinking about getting a one way U-Haul from here, and drive one car back. Still working out the logistics of that one.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts