Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I gotta give you credit for tackling that. I HATE wiring, HATE IT!

Lol. I’ve done a couple harnesses and actually find it pretty satisfying. It so different from the work I do everyday it fills a mental void for me. Don’t get the wrong idea, I’m no genius. There’s no way I could do this without help from the lt1swap.com website.

Hopefully that pays you back with a summer of no oddball issues that ruin your weekends at the dunes.

I hope so too... As I was working through the harness uncovering each mess it became apparent I would be screwed if it ever had an issue.

I didn't look at it. Pics are way to big for my screen.

Weird, I uploaded the same as always using Tapatalk. Maybe check it out later on another device, it’s pretty spectacular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I just ordered this transmission cooler and I’m planning to mount it against the firewall below the battery. I’m looking for experienced opinions on whether it would work better in a push or pull configuration. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I have mine mounted against the firewall like this pulling air into the cab. Theres a big hole right behind it where the TJ heater core use to be. So far so good with a lot of bombing around the dunes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Finally got some time to get back to the wiring. The original under-dash harness was in really rough shape plus it was the older version fuse panel with glass fuses so I started over with a newer one in good condition. I mapped out all of the engine control wires not needed and used them for the LS control wires (OBDll, CEL, TCC brake relay, ECM on/crank, etc.) so every wire runs through the fuse panel rather than just pulling them through holes in the firewall. It turned out really clean and can’t wait to get the dash put back in. Hoping to get the Jeep and LS harnesses ties together this weekend.

Also, I finally found a decent set of YJ half-doors too. I’m pretty stoked about having these.

Start of under-dash wiring...

Finish

Picked this up on Amazon for less than $400 with a supply of consumables. It cuts 1/4” nice and clean.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Finished up the relay box this weekend. Tested every circuit/relay and it all works so next step is to put the dash back in and tie it all back together (engine, dash and PCM) and try to make it look good.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Still working on putting this thing back together and making some good progress. The LS harness redo was a success - it starts and runs! I ordered a full set of PRP seats that should be here in another 3 weeks or so and then I need to build a cage. Plenty of little things to do still in the mean time.

I was able to get the fuel gauge working in the big speedo cluster then started messing around with the temp gauge. The temp gauge acted like it would work and I started thinking it would be pretty cool to be able to use the stock gauges to keep the retro CJ look. So I ordered a temp sender, an oil sender, oil gauge and a couple metric/NPT adapters.

Well, the temp gauge/sender is working as expected but I cannot figure out the oil pressure setup.

I have been using the Morris 4x4 tech page on CJ gauges as my reference.

https://www.morris4x4center.com/jeep-knowledge-center/CJ-Gauge-Troubleshooting/#

When I hook up the gauge the needle goes to 80 psi as if the terminal post is grounded.

According to the resistance chart I should see 240-ish ohms between the sender body (ground) at 0 psi (engine off) and the terminal post but I am actually seeing 6 ohms. I tried a second sender and get same results.

I checked the temp sender from the body to the terminal post and it reads 300 ohms cold as expected.

What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Pics below are temperature sender vs. oil pressure sender. When compared to the charts on the Morris 4x4 page the temp sender is measuring as expected but the oil sender is not. Two different oil pressure senders are showing the same...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts