Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Never Ending....
743 Posts
I’ve been looking for a set of used paddles off and on since I got the baby Jeep and finally found the right deal. We made an early morning trip to the east side of the state yesterday and picked these. Going up to Silver Lake on the 11th to give them a try :)

I’m looking for a set of aluminum 15x10 or 15x12 wheels 5x5.5 bolt pattern. If anyone’s something decent please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you happen to pick these up in Fenton with the Ranger part out? I picked up the Beard seats and noticed those there. Looked nice! Good prices on all of his parts for sale. Glad they went to good use if you did!

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Did you happen to pick these up in Fenton with the Ranger part out? I picked up the Beard seats and noticed those there. Looked nice! Good prices on all of his parts for sale. Glad they went to good use if you did!

I did and I’m really glad I only had enough cash with me for the tires. Everything he had was good quality and great prices!!

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I called up Bassett over in Wisconsin and had them put together a pair of 15x12 beadlocks. Really good people to deal with and I received them a day after they were built.

Me and my son went to the dunes on Saturday with the paddles and had a blast running 2WD all day. The short wheelbase and crappy short leaf springs make for a rough ride on the dunes so I’m thinking of ways to make it better :)

It was also prerunner invasion so there were a ton of cool trucks to watch.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Paddle tires are fun in 2wd but I got bored with always having to roar around on the rev limiter. They don't crawl worth a shit. :sonicjay:

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Paddle tires are fun in 2wd but I got bored with always having to roar around on the rev limiter. They don't crawl worth a shit. :sonicjay:

You think they don’t crawl well?? They are even worse in reverse, lol. I actually don’t mind bouncing off the rev limiter, but I know what mean. I think with some suspension upgrades I can get some speed going too. We’ll see how things go.

Just realized I missed the pic of the tires mounted. I’m pretty happy with them.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
The problem for me is that I would go to the dunes with our normal group of trail rigs. While they were putting up a hill, I had to blast up it and then wait for them. Fun for sure with the right group.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I guess it has been a bit since I updated... Mostly we just enjoyed it for the summer and drove 2500 miles, it was a blast. I did not have any breakdowns or unexpected repairs to make so that was nice. We went to the dunes three times this summer and had fun but those paddle tires always leave me wanting more HP. They do okay and all but another 100HP would really make them work.

I never could get the brake pedal to come up and due to available time I went ahead and bought a CJ power brake conversion kit. The price was reasonable, the fit was good and I had it installed with brakes bled in less than two hours. I also moved the battery from behind the rear seat to under the hood. I also swapped out the cowl hood for a stock hood.

Beside paint, I have a few things I would like to do this winter if time and money allows... I’m trying to finish my son’s CJ build this winter too, the goal is to have his on the road in the spring.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Working through a few improvements... the previous owner had installed a YJ tank which functioned for the LS swap but had some issues.
1. It was a really tight fit between the CJ frame and didn’t look like it belonged there.
2. The original YJ fill/vent lines (opposite side) were capped and new lines were drilled into the tank... the lines leaked if the tank was over half full.

I picked up all new stock 15 gallon metal CJ tank, skid plate, straps and sending unit then reworked the lines to 3/8 feed and 5/16 return with a new Walbro 255 in the tank. I also installed some bulkhead power connectors to pass thru. The space to use on the sending unit is limited but it all worked out pretty good and I’m happy with it.

Edit: the fuel lines on the last pic are temporary for testing. The lines will all have AN connectors.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Wiring harness... I started out thinking I would make a couple minor improvements including switching the ECM from passenger to driver’s side along with adding a relay center. This project quickly spiraled out of control. It looks like the previous owner purchased the harness somewhere but the quality of workmanship was really poor. I am honestly shocked this thing ran all summer with no issues.

Problems:
1. No regard for circuit design on the pink wires.
2. Deadheaded wires poking out of the harness and covered in tape.
3. Butt spice connectors everywhere that were not properly applied.
4. Wire nuts used as connectors.
5. An excessive number of relays with no regard to design.

I spent a couple weeks off and on with this “quick project” but it turned out really good and will be reliable.

I just need to mount the ECM and tie in the relay box but the relay box is part of an overall wiring upgrade for the entire car.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts