Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
DODGE POWER!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question is i have a 2004 impala with the 3.4 it was my grandpas before i got it he ran it LOW on oil and now the engine always makes lifter noise? it gets quieter when it warms up the car has less then 40,000 miles on it should i worry bout it. its not just a beater im gona keep this car for a while should i think bout getting the heads redone???. thanks

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
if anything sounds like the pistons are now worn and are slapping around. check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and see what it is at idle cold and hot. post results. if your unsure i can check it out for you

·
Registered
851 Posts
i work on these engines all the time, they all have what we call piston rattle while cold, as long as the noise quiets down when it warms up, don't worry about it, seen them go 200,000 miles rattling when cold, just let it warm up first, look forward to intake gasket leaking problems, they leak externally, and internally, the obvious symptom is the radiator cap will have what appears to be like stop leak, this is actually oil in the coolant! get it fixed asap! good luck with your car and you shouldn't have any problems with noise!

·
DODGE POWER!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if anything sounds like the pistons are now worn and are slapping around. check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and see what it is at idle cold and hot. post results. if your unsure i can check it out for you
how do you doit. i was just wondering cause its only got 40,000 miles and was wondering how long it would last

·
Registered
851 Posts
probably forever if its only piston rattle, just let it warm up before driving, the oil pressure is easy to check, if you have a gauge with adapters! there is a sending unit next to the oil filter, remove that and screw in your gauge, start and check, not sure what specs are but, anything over 30lbs should be fine, more when cold, less at idle in gear, but i've never seen a oil pressure problem! good luck

·
DODGE POWER!
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i put new (to my car out of another) gauges in and the oil pressure guage doesnt work im saying that because if i had no oil pressure im sure the car wouldnt be running still i hope... i might have to get kodiak450r to help me but from what you guys are saying not too serious?

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
well it could be serious or not. depends if the pistons are collapsing or not. running with low oil will cause insufficient lubrication to the cylinder walls and wears out the pistons faster. if the engine gets starved for oil say in a hard turn it can be enough to start chewing up bearings. doesn't take long at 2000 rpm. thats y i asked for oil pressure results. that tells you a rough idea of the condition of the bearings. low oil pressure also causes the lifters to tap because they need oil pressure to keep there adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts